GFO reactor question

cotofl02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All. I just installed a reactor on my XL 300. I had my phosphates pegged at around .08-.1 for a long time. About a month ago I tried some reef roids and they shot up to around .5 between my weekly tests. I took a break from from all coral foods with the hope that the phosphate would drop. Unfortunately they kind of leveled out around .35. I setup my reactor with 1/3 high capacity GFO and 2/3 Rox carbon. I ran this for 6 hours yesterday and when I tested this morning it dropped to .09. I have a controller and can schedule times for the reactor, has anyone used this approach to slow the effects of GFO or am I better off letting it run 24/7 and lowering the flow through the reactor? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

1 year old tank
temp - 78
nitrate - 13PPM
phosphate - .09PPM
dKH - 8.5
Ca - 420
Mg - 1400

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All. I just installed a reactor on my XL 300. I had my phosphates pegged at around .08-.1 for a long time. About a month ago I tried some reef roids and they shot up to around .5 between my weekly tests. I took a break from from all coral foods with the hope that the phosphate would drop. Unfortunately they kind of leveled out around .35. I setup my reactor with 1/3 high capacity GFO and 2/3 Rox carbon. I ran this for 6 hours yesterday and when I tested this morning it dropped to .09. I have a controller and can schedule times for the reactor, has anyone used this approach to slow the effects of GFO or am I better off letting it run 24/7 and lowering the flow through the reactor? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

1 year old tank
temp - 78
nitrate - 13PPM
phosphate - .09PPM
dKH - 8.5
Ca - 420
Mg - 1400
Not a good idea to trap water inside a device because it becomes anaerobic, though short time periods mightnot be an issue. Better to use less GFO or decrease the flow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back