GFO reactor stops flowing

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a BRS single 10" reactor with the old style canister insert (the style that usually holds DI resin with the paper filter screen on top and bottom along with the sponge discs) and it basically just stops flowing after a couple hours. I have a T fitting off my return pump plumbing that feeds the reactor with 3/8 tubing and it gets plenty of flow so not sure what is causing my issue. The GFO will be fine and tumble for several hours and then seems like it just clumps up and sits on the bottom blocking all flow or maybe my flow somehow is getting reduced and causing the GFO to no longer tumble and stop flowing.

Should I remove the paper type style filters from the canister and only use the sponge? Should I upgrade to the new style cartridge insert that has the strainer on the bottom? I'm using kolar brand GFO and only filling less than a 1/4 of the cartridge. I'm not running filter socks.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only use sponges to tumble gfo.

Have ran Rowaphos for years, you just want to top of the gfo to lightly tumble and not hit the reactors top sponge.

Need a valve to tune in your flow.

OP
OP
Mr. GoodStuff

Mr. GoodStuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only use sponges to tumble gfo.

Have ran Rowaphos for years, you just want to top of the gfo to lightly tumble and not hit the reactors top sponge.

Need a valve to tune in your flow.

Yeah I have a valve to adjust the flow but I guess maybe I might have too high flow and it's just turning the GFO into dust and causing it to clog?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are tumbling your GFO too quickly causing small particles to clog on the output side, reducing your overall flow.

Sponge up top would help. Also need to tune the speed so that just the top layer is moving

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a valve to adjust the flow but I guess maybe I might have too high flow and it's just turning the GFO into dust and causing it to clog?
Carbon can grind down to tiny particles, that's why you don't want to tumble carbon, but gfo is must harder than carbon and should not grind down if you just tumble that media.

When I add new media, I reinstall the reactor and turn off my auto top off system.

Hold the reactor's output over a 5 gallon bucket.

Open the flow close to wide open until the water becomes clear. Takes about 1 to 1.5 gallons.

Fill my lowered water line back with fresh saltwater, then turn on the auto top off.

Then place the reactor's output back in it's fianal spot and adjust to a light tumble.

Just use the sponges.

Hope that helps

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back