GFO Reactor

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just installed my 1st GFO Reactor to control my phospahtes. I tested yesterday before I installed the BRS Reactor and it read 2. How long will it take to remove my phosphates? How often will I need to change out my BFS High Capacity GFO? Do I run the Reactor 24/7?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO works slowly, you don't want a quick change. Hopefully you have been reading and did not use the BRS stupid suggested dosage as it is at least twice what anyone eles recommends so can bleach stony corals quickly.
Start with 5 grams, 1/2 every other vendors recommended dosage of 10 grams per 10 gallons, in the beginning and monitor phopshates over the next two weeks at which point its prrobably time for the first media replacement and stay with 1/2 the dose tah ttime too. Slowly work up to 10 grams per 10 gallons orabout one level tablespoon full per 10 gallons. Keep the flows at a minimum, around 60-80 GPH so the media slightly boils on top but is not tumbling rapidly and grinding itself to dust, a MJ 400 powerhead or even MiniJet powerhead are good choices and even then the flow needs to be valved back. Run 24/7 since when water is not flowing it is losing dissolved oxygen, becoming septic and can cause problems.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GFO works slowly, you don't want a quick change. Hopefully you have been reading and did not use the BRS stupid suggested dosage as it is at least twice what anyone eles recommends so can bleach stony corals quickly.
Start with 5 grams, 1/2 every other vendors recommended dosage of 10 grams per 10 gallons, in the beginning and monitor phopshates over the next two weeks at which point its prrobably time for the first media replacement and stay with 1/2 the dose tah ttime too. Slowly work up to 10 grams per 10 gallons orabout one level tablespoon full per 10 gallons. Keep the flows at a minimum, around 60-80 GPH so the media slightly boils on top but is not tumbling rapidly and grinding itself to dust, a MJ 400 powerhead or even MiniJet powerhead are good choices and even then the flow needs to be valved back. Run 24/7 since when water is not flowing it is losing dissolved oxygen, becoming septic and can cause problems.

Havent really read up on reactors to much. It called for 1 tablespoon for every 8 gallons. I ended using 6 tablespoons yesterday. Do I need to cut back on the GFO next time I change out the media? I have no stony corals in my tank.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't say anywhere what size your system is but start with 1/2 a spoon full per 10 gallons or about 5 grams for the fisrt month or 6 weeks, 2 or 3 replacements, then if you feel it is needed slowly increase it up to 10 grams or 1 spoonfull per 10 gallons maximum. Never start out full dose even with soft corals as it will shock the system. Also keep the flow in the 60-80 GPH range so you don't end up with a pile of red rust dust in the bottom of your display or sump. GFO is very soft, you can crumble it with your finger tips so you need gentle flow. it gets even softer when it is wet.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don't say anywhere what size your system is but start with 1/2 a spoon full per 10 gallons or about 5 grams for the fisrt month or 6 weeks, 2 or 3 replacements, then if you feel it is needed slowly increase it up to 10 grams or 1 spoonfull per 10 gallons maximum. Never start out full dose even with soft corals as it will shock the system. Also keep the flow in the 60-80 GPH range so you don't end up with a pile of red rust dust in the bottom of your display or sump. GFO is very soft, you can crumble it with your finger tips so you need gentle flow. it gets even softer when it is wet.

75 gallon with about 10 gallons in the sump. my gfo is barely tumbling.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove about half the GFO. Your display is 75 gallons with no rock or substrate so maybe 60 gallons of actual saltwater. like everything else in this hobby, slow is better. Only bad things happen quickly, all good things take time.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would remove about half the GFO. Your display is 75 gallons with no rock or substrate so maybe 60 gallons of actual saltwater. like everything else in this hobby, slow is better. Only bad things happen quickly, all good things take time.

alrighty will remove half of it in a few mins after my fish finsh eating. just fed them.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just took half of it out. had to adjust the flow some. you want the gfo to turnover on the top correct? ive noticed a few pieces have changed from brown to a more white color. does that mean those few are exhausted?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you want a slight boil or surface movement. The color change could be from calcium build up. Where do you have the reactor plumbed? Its best from the return section so it gets the cleanest water and does not plug or foul the foam inserts with food and detritus. If you have a calcium reactor or add two part do it feed those somewhere away from the intake to the GFO reactor as it will tend to pack or solidify the media.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have it plumbed to where the skimmer drops the clean water out. From there it goes directly to the return pump. So its not getting dirty/trash filled water that I'm aware of. It has 2 pads to go through before it gets to my reactor.

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just changed out my GFO. Im wondering but why does it take weeks before the GFO starts to work? Since I just changed out the GFO will it take weeks for it to take affect again or right away since its been in my system for a few weeks?

guichi1210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you measured your posphate level recently? GFO should start working immediately since it doesn't relly on bacteria like biopellets. If your posphates still at 2 then increase you GFO amount by a little and adjust to a higher flow rate. You should test again every two or three days and see your po4 coming down by a few tenths. Like AzDesertRat mentioned, you don't want to drop the po4 levels too fast but a month should be enough time. Test it again first and make the adjustment.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I(t doesn't take weeks to work, it takes time to actually see the measurable results though as GFO depends on multiple passes through the media to work. Like carbon, you recirculate the water through it over and over so it slowly adsorbs the contaminants.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back