GFO w/out reactor?

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to run GFO in an HOB filter rather than a reactor? I'm having major phosphate problems. I know why but I need to manage it until the rockwork is done leaching; I can't afford new rock and I found some GFO on clearance.

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it can be done, but not sure you'll get a lot of tumbling. When it starts to clump together change it. It can also be ran in a filter sock, but a think a HOB would be the better bet out of the two.

What GFO are you going to be using?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends, but generally should be no problem.

Really, the only potential "issue" is that there may be a lot of fines, depending on the grade of GFO. The fines will quickly rinse out of a bag and into the tank in a power filter. I say "issue" because at worst this would be a cosmetic issue - wouldn't hurt anything.

And the simple way to avoid this is to rinse your media in a little RODI before use as needed.

Most GFO products are at least somewhat granulated to minimize this effect, but I have seen some that's extremely powdery.

Good find!

-Matt

P.S. Use small doses and replace them frequently (which will hopefully be following the product directions) vs filling the bag with one big load. Better all the way around.

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call forgot about the fines. I ran about a gallon of water thought my reactor before I put the return back in my tank.

You will need to find a way to rinse it.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back