OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key for keeping them gone is biodiversity. There are many methods for getting rid of them but the after treatment is more important.
That's exactly what I was thinking for this time around. Going to continue to dose the ATM colony for a while after. Also I got some miracle mud.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try to explain my process. When ever I see the first Dino usually after using amino acids or too much food. I place an order of live stuff and get a shipping date. Then I try to be done with the bacteria method two days before it arrives. I start with micro bubbles, 36 hour blackout with DE filters running. Turn lights back on to normal and start the bacteria and vodka no filters at all for the 7days. If you don’t see cloudy water by day two or three crush up a pinch of pellet food. Day 8 another 36 hour blackout. Add the live stuff when the lights are back on. Dino is never completely gone just controlled by other organisms. Dino live inside the coral and if they die so do the coral.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried Garf Grunge and Indo pacific sea farms. DE filters are magnum water polishers from petco charged with diatomaceous earth from most pool stores.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3 of Elegant Corals regimen. Bacteria blooming like crazy. Dinoflagellates also blooming pretty strong. Got the proper wooden airstones setup in my return which is blowing microbubbles all over the tank. Looks like a giant tsunami currently. Really hope this works! So far dinos just getting worse...

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don’t need that many air bubbles in the DT. More isn’t always better it’s the size of the bubble that’s important. All the bigger bubbles do is make salt creep.

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have a skimmer so yeah it should be fine to remove them. I don’t have a skimmer and everything was fine with just one wooden air stone.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about 10 days in post Elegant Corals Dinoflagellates Regimen and so far it seems to have worked. Unfortunately, I have already lost about half of my corals and the ones that survived are looking grim. I would not attribute the loses to the regimen however as most of the coral decay set in during the horrid cyano outbreak while I was out of town. Fish are doing well thankfully.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks and 2 water changes later and dinoflagellates look to be gone!! :)

Corals that survived are slowly recovering and looking better.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. Is the cabinet door fixed to that side only? Or can you specify which side when you order?

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. Is the cabinet door fixed to that side only? Or can you specify which side when you order?
From what I understand it is fixed to that side only. But may be worth your while to call manafactuerer directly. Early on I called them with a question about the overflow and they were really polite and responsive.

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dinos have not come back strong but I do have some micro bubbles mixed in with the turf algae. Overall the system is slowly recovering. Got a UV coming in a few days and purchased a lot of big snails today. Between the 2 I'm hoping for a beautiful clean tank like it used to be in a couple weeks. Time will tell..

OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the UV Sterilizer. Blasted all the rocks and did a water change. Phew! That was a lot of work. Hopefully that should be the final blow in curing my major problems.

PXL_20210809_224426955.jpg PXL_20210809_235858999.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my effort finally eradicated the dinos!

Now to just knockout this red turf algae and retain stability.

Also, rebooted my quarantine as there must have been a horrible disease introduced killing the last 4 fish I put in very rapidly. Did 30 days fallow with 3+ppm copper followed by a drain and tap water rinse and then 24 hours of air drying. Hope that will do the trick!

PXL_20210822_211855615.jpg PXL_20210822_214432416.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things have slowly but surely going in the right direction. I would say 50% of RTA gone at this point. Just doing heavy nutrient export while not dosing anything. Got an army of snails from reefcleaners coming this week that should hopefully speed up the process. Removed gyre as my tank looks soooo much cleaner without and doesn't seem necessary atm. Quarantine up and ready to go hopefully will add some fish this week.

Attachments

• PXL_20210829_221156435.jpg
    PXL_20210829_221156435.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
G

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly but surely things continue to get better. Most RTA gone. Haven't had any losses in about 2 months and everything that survived is improving. Added a couple more corals a few days ago and they are doing really well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back