GHA algae helppp

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello y’all have had my tank for over 5 months now and begun to see green hair algae awhile back that wasn’t to bad and now has turned to a brown green algae covering some rock. However there is also a vibrant red algae and I have no idea what CUC would help me control this.

thank you

image.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello y’all have had my tank for over 5 months now and begun to see green hair algae awhile back that wasn’t to bad and now has turned to a brown green algae covering some rock. However there is also a vibrant red algae and I have no idea what CUC would help me control this.

thank you

image.jpg

vibrant red makes me think dinos. What are you water parameters?

Nitrates and/or phosphates at zero will bring out dinos. Siphon them out. Feed you fish more to bring up your numbers if you are at zero.

Green hair algae takes manual removal. During water changes, I like to remove rocks and scrub them, rinse with tank water that was getting thrown out anyhow and put the rock back. I find toothbrushes are too soft and scrub brushes are too big, so using an exacto knife I've cutoff scrub brush bristles, stuck them in a bit of spare tube and super glued into place. I've scrubbed so much those bristles wear down/out, so here is a picture of my latest creation.
algae scrub tools.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back