GHA and Nutrient

keatonmjenkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for those advanced reefers. I have a good amount of hair algae in my system, corals are growing and don’t seem bothered.

My question is if I test for nutrients and I’m at 7 nitrates and .07 phosphates are these the real nutrient levels or are my nutrients higher but the hair algae is throwing it off?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total nitrogen includes different forms, particulate, dissolved organic and dissolved inorganic forms. The same goes for phosphorus and carbon. So the numbers you have are don't include everything. Unfortunately we can't test for everything yet. :/

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those tests are a snapshot in time of where your nutrients are right now........so no, technically they aren't higher. Yes, algae is consuming, but there is always something consuming available nutrients in a healthy reef tank.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And without actually seeing a picture of your tank, you would need a lot of algae to make any measurable difference. Fact is that hair algae can thrive in low nutrients, in the ocean for example.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And without actually seeing a picture of your tank, you would need a lot of algae to make any measurable difference. Fact is that hair algae can thrive in low nutrients, in the ocean for example.
Yup. I don't know why this is so hard for people to come to grips with - so much damage is done to tanks trying to push down nitrates and phosphates when they weren't the problem in the first place.

Especially new tanks, where this stuff is normal and expected.

OP
OP
keatonmjenkins

keatonmjenkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. I don't know why this is so hard for people to come to grips with - so much damage is done to tanks trying to push down nitrates and phosphates when they weren't the problem in the first place.

Especially new tanks, where this stuff is normal and expected.
I’m not trying to drive nutrients down. I was making sure that the tests I’m reading are as accurate as they could be. I didn’t know if GHA could throw a measurement since it’s also up taking nutrients.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae should be limited by predation and competition and not necessarily just nitrogen/phosphate. This sounds normal

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back