GHA and Vibrant

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had an issue with some GHA. I dosed Vibrant, and it has since wiped this issue away with a little help from me as well.

I have a 65G and only dosed 3mL every 2 weeks for like 3 doses in total.

My question is. My nitrates have always been around 10 throughout. Today I noticed it went down to 5. I use Salifert. Should I stop dosing Vibrant seeing as though the issue is more or less resolved, or dose like 1.5 mL every 2 weeks or even 1 mL to maintain?

Don't wanna bottom out my nutrients.
My phos is 0 - 0.03 using salifert. Hard to tell with the colours. But thats all I got.

I usually do a 20% water change every 2 weeks, was thinking of doing 10% every 2 weeks and feed a little heavy until I hit 10 for Nitrates.

Before and after photos
Screenshot_20210122-153407_Gallery.jpg
20210122_153223.jpg

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get banded trochus ? You will benefit from maybe 15 of them also.
Yeah I think I have one of them too lol...my hermits slaughtered some of my snails. So im just starting to restock them. When the GHA was long and mostly on the turf the snails wouldn't really go after it. I find they good at maintaining the problem before it gets wild.

In the meantime stop Vibrant you think? Or lower the dose more? On the bottle it says for "clean" tanks 1mL per 10G. And I was doing 0.5mL per G.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used it. I’ve always trusted algae eaters and time. I can’t see a problem in stopping vibrant if you have enough herbivores. May not apply to you but kole tangs are fantastic :)

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used it. I’ve always trusted algae eaters and time. I can’t see a problem in stopping vibrant if you have enough herbivores. May not apply to you but kole tangs are fantastic :)
My tank too small for a Kole tang no? 65G

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking into yellow tang, but my quarentinr tank is only 10G...too small for a yellow tang in quarentine?

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking into yellow tang, but my quarentinr tank is only 10G...too small for a yellow tang in quarentine?
Biota captive breed, no quarantine needed. Buy straight from Biota, no middle man to raise price or introduce disease. Another forum member just post a review yesterday on the one he got says it was the size of a 50 cent piece.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota captive breed, no quarantine needed. Buy straight from Biota, no middle man to raise price or introduce disease. Another forum member just post a review yesterday on the one he got says it was the size of a 50 cent piece.
dang im in Canada. They dont ship livestock to Canada i dont think.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with bolstering your snail population. Vibrant worked on Valonia for me but my corals sure hated the stuff. All my Lobos would look like crap for a few days after dosing. I dumped the rest out so I wouldn't be tempted to use it again.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with bolstering your snail population. Vibrant worked on Valonia for me but my corals sure hated the stuff. All my Lobos would look like crap for a few days after dosing. I dumped the rest out so I wouldn't be tempted to use it again.
Yeah. Well I'm more concerned about messing up my nutrients. My corals are all fine. Will see how these new snails prevail. And ill only do a 10% WC this time instead of the usual 20%? Or just continue but mayne feed the corals and fish more to get nitrate back up?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant contains vinegar as I recall, so along with the bacteria it also adds fertilizer for those bacteria which is basically carbon dosing. So, this is why your nitrate falls. Did the same for me.

You have a perfect scenario for Vibrant; younger tank without out of control nutrients and a mild algae problem. IMO, if I were setting up a new tank, especially with dry rock I would add vibrant at the end of the cycle just to gets a heads up on the uglies and introduce those finicky post cycle bacteria you want growing ASAP and give them a head start.

Continuing to dose it is just like carbon dosing. Not thrilled about doing that in a younger tank, but I know those that do. Maybe wait and see if algae starts to come back and quick dose before hand.

Smaller tanks have limited options for herbivores. My favorite are turbo snails, but they might actually starve if your tank is too clean. For each fish you add to resolve the problem you add nitrate.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant contains vinegar as I recall, so along with the bacteria it also adds fertilizer for those bacteria which is basically carbon dosing. So, this is why your nitrate falls. Did the same for me.

You have a perfect scenario for Vibrant; younger tank without out of control nutrients and a mild algae problem. IMO, if I were setting up a new tank, especially with dry rock I would add vibrant at the end of the cycle just to gets a heads up on the uglies and introduce those finicky post cycle bacteria you want growing ASAP and give them a head start.

Continuing to dose it is just like carbon dosing. Not thrilled about doing that in a younger tank, but I know those that do. Maybe wait and see if algae starts to come back and quick dose before hand.

Smaller tanks have limited options for herbivores. My favorite are turbo snails, but they might actually starve if your tank is too clean. For each fish you add to resolve the problem you add nitrate.
Yeah. Id like to find a nice medium. I won't dose next WC. I'll see how the snails do. If I see things get out of control or they can't keep up ill give them a little help. Just don't wanna bottom out and next thing I know I'm battering dinos

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo id stop using vibrant now that the algae is gone. Most likely it will start attacking things you like once algae is gone.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to dose if the gha is under control.
Vibrant is an algae eating bacteria. It will stay in your tank after dosing for 6 weeks or so, longer if it has algae to eat.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back