GHA issue continues

OffRoad322

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My GHA has continued even using extra CUC and Gfo/carbon reactor. I reduced photo period on lights to 6hrs, I have had chaeto in refugium for most of my tank life.

I tested last night and it looks like...

.25 Phosphate

5-10 Nirate

What should my next step? Some said it was my rock leaching phosphate. Should I use a Phosphate reducer liquid?

Please help GHA doesn't seem to be worse but definitely not reducing.

OP
OP
O

OffRoad322

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results
bea41040505b6ec7ad4d8999389b8c18.jpg
52be1b2a8e885b660fce82525793fb8e.jpg

jhOU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? The API phosphate test is basically useless (it’s scale range), if you want an accurate measurement I would suggest you get the hanna ultra low phosphorus checker. I wouldn’t use phosphate removal products until you get an accurate reading. Getting accurate nutrient levels under control is definitely the best bet, but beyond that you may want to look at products such as Vibrant or fluconazole treatments.

OP
OP
O

OffRoad322

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I bought a Hanna Ultra Low Phosphorus checker and got a reading of 6ppb which is 0.018ppm Phosphate. Obviously really low, but I still have GHA. I started dosing with VIBRANT a few weeks ago, today was my 3rd dose (weekly) and haven't seen a change.

Should I try Fluconazole or keep with the Vibrant longer?

OP
OP
O

OffRoad322

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I bought a Hanna Ultra Low Phosphorus checker and got a reading of 6ppb which is 0.018ppm Phosphate. Obviously really low, but I still have GHA. I started dosing with VIBRANT a few weeks ago, today was my 3rd dose (weekly) and haven't seen a change.

Should I try Fluconazole or keep with the Vibrant longer?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd manually remove as much as you can by hand. Eventually it growing will reduce your phosphates enough if you aren't putting more back in.

How old is the tank?

jhOU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fighting what looks to be the same algae, thought it was just typical gha, but think it might be a type of bryopsis. No snail, tang, or blenny would touch it. I dosed vibrant twice a week for about 2 months, with minimal effect. I dosed fluconazole about 10 days ago, and the algae is finally dying. I’m still not done with the treatment, but from what i’ve seen so far i’d definitely recommend fluconazole.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you feeding fish? How often? How much? Vibrant worked very well for me.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed feeding more often, less amounts and turn my flow off while feeding really helped rid my GHA

OP
OP
O

OffRoad322

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fighting what looks to be the same algae, thought it was just typical gha, but think it might be a type of bryopsis. No snail, tang, or blenny would touch it. I dosed vibrant twice a week for about 2 months, with minimal effect. I dosed fluconazole about 10 days ago, and the algae is finally dying. I’m still not done with the treatment, but from what i’ve seen so far i’d definitely recommend fluconazole.
How much fluconazole did you use per gallon and how many times?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Vibrant at a dose of twice the listed amount at twice a week to get rid of some Valonia and other algae. It is making a great turn around in my tank. Wish I had taken before and after pictures. The Coraline algae is coming back and the rock is clearing up. Even see some sponges making a recovery. No effect on the only coral in the tank an Elegance.

Try mechanical removal and increase your dose of Vibrant.

jhOU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed 20mg per gallon (2400mg in my 120gallon). Treatment is just 1 dose and takes up to 21 days (no water changes/carbon during). There’s a good thread if you search for fluconazole on r2r. I got the fluconazole capsules from payless-petproducts.com. Each capsule is 200mg, just have to separate the capsules and dissolve the powder in tank water prior to dosing.
https://www.payless-petproducts.com...less-petproducts.com/fluconazole200.html#2691

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to each their own. It doesn’t clear things over night. I dosed recommended amount once every other week and it did wonders. Just gotta be patient.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend taking a loose rock out and manually removing as much as possible. Then squirting hydrogen peroxide on the test rock. Let it sit for a couple minutes out of water and put it back. In a few days it should all be dead, and if it works well you can do that with all the rocks one by one. Peroxide is great and works well for spots that get out of hand in my nano every once in awhile.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 147 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back