GHA issues?

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
6,580
Reaction score
9,699
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if this is the right forum, if it’s not then I’m really sorry mods please fix me. Anyway, I recently got a small magnetic frag rack for my DT, for selling and acclimation purposes. So, it’s started to grow massive amounts of GHA even though there’s none of it anywhere else in the tank. I do target feed reefroids to the frags up there like 2x a week, could that be the cause? Can someone please help me figure this out and how to get rid of it? It’s starting to hurt my sales because obviously, nobody wants to buy a frag that’s 80% GHA. Thanks a million y’all!
 
Put some Turbo snails directly where you want the algae gone and should take care of it. Also, installing an Algae Turf scrubber has been the best thing I've used for algae.
 
Bump, snails did NOT like being stranded on the rack
Did you get Turbo Snails? They shouldn't get stranded - they can move around even over sand. But....if you place then directly on even very long GHA they will mow it down. Other than Turbos, the best thing i've used is an Algae Turf Scrubber but that is much more involved. If you have Algae eaters in the display mixed with an ATS you should be able to wipe out the GHA no problem.
 
Ive never seen a breakout ONLY on one specific thing but i second turbos. I have 2 in my 40 breeder and they mow everything down that goes into that tank :)
 
I’ll echo the turbo snails. Mine destroy GHA
 
Here are some pics for reference, I put 2 turbos, an astrea, and a couple hermits up there but they immediately left (hermits jumped off and snails ran away to the glass) the GHA is only on the rack...
604F9C27-9878-4019-949E-0336DECDA7C3.jpeg
FE6A43C3-FFCA-42B1-A78B-DD0A5C2E505C.jpeg
5DD4C34A-FB41-41C9-AB63-9BFB9EACC0E9.jpeg
 
Hmmmm.....doesn't look like GHA, maybe more film type algae.

Here is a pic of GHA.

1593195697885.png
 
Take the frags and rack out. Put peroxide on the frags to kill the algae(I just dribble it right out of the bottle on to the frag,leave on for 1 minute and then rinse with tank water). Wash the rack in bleach or vinegar. Put everything back in tank.
 
Im battling GHA now. Started vibrant. It's alot better after fluconazole ...only dosed flucon because.bryopsis. But now wc. And vibrant. I'm hoping it just finally gives up and goes away. It's been a couple months of a battle for me as well
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new