GHA outbreak on new rock

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In October i added 2 pieces of pukani dry rock to established tank to provide more hiding spaces. I expected the uglies but about 2 months ago the gha showed up mostly on top surface of new rock. I’ve been trying to wait it out. Now I plan on removing the rock since it is not glued in place and scrubbing the algae off and rinse in RODI. Should i just do that and return rock to tank or should I let it sit out for a while. If so how long? I don’t want to kill off any good bacteria. Any other good ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you'd be getting rid of the progress made. Keep it wet, quickly remove the algae and return it to the tank asap is probably the best bet.

OP
OP
C

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you'd be getting rid of the progress made. Keep it wet, quickly remove the algae and return it to the tank asap is probably the best bet.
I’ve been treating tank with NoPox to lower nutrients. Should i consider reef flux or just remove rock scrub clean and return to tank? Will the gha comeback? Using this method.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been treating tank with NoPox to lower nutrients. Should i consider reef flux or just remove rock scrub clean and return to tank? Will the gha comeback? Using this method.
The rock is going through a cycle like your tank did originally. Are your nutrients out of whack? What's the nopox for? I'm not an advocate of any of the miracles in a bottle.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pull it out and brush/scrape it real good and then put right back in.

If it comes back in a couple weeks then maybe try doing the same thing while also dripping peroxide on the algae area while you have it out of the water.

OP
OP
C

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock is going through a cycle like your tank did originally. Are your nutrients out of whack? What's the nopox for? I'm not an advocate of any of the miracles in a bottle.
Yes my nutrients are high. po4 is .44 and nitrates are 48. Also I would think that those 2 rocks should be cycled by now. Been in tank since early October. Gha on those 2 rocks is pretty heavy and is also light on other year old rocks in tank. I figured it was from rocks leaching phosphate but shouldn’t that be done by now.

OP
OP
C

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pull it out and brush/scrape it real good and then put right back in.

If it comes back in a couple weeks then maybe try doing the same thing while also dripping peroxide on the algae area while you have it out of the water.
Should i rinse after scraping? And in what?(Tank water in a bucket>)

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my nutrients are high. po4 is .44 and nitrates are 48. Also I would think that those 2 rocks should be cycled by now. Been in tank since early October. Gha on those 2 rocks is pretty heavy and is also light on other year old rocks in tank. I figured it was from rocks leaching phosphate but shouldn’t that be done by now.
So the nutrients are your issue, not the rocks. I'm not just speaking of the nitrogen cycle. I'm meaning the whole process of the ugly phase. Mine lasted almost a year when starting my tank. You have to treat the new rocks the same way you did your new tank. Get nutrients in order and clean the algae.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i rinse after scraping? And in what?(Tank water in a bucket>)
I always rinse it in tank water but I'm not sure it matters that much if you are just dipping and swirling for a couple seconds. Couple members did an experiment here recently that if I remember correctly showed the act of scrubbing the rock is what killed most of the beneficial nitrifying bacteria and not necessarily the freshwater dip.

I may have that completely wrong though :) So maybe just do it in tank water to be safe.

OP
OP
C

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the nutrients are your issue, not the rocks. I'm not just speaking of the nitrogen cycle. I'm meaning the whole process of the ugly phase. Mine lasted almost a year when starting my tank. You have to treat the new rocks the same way you did your new tank. Get nutrients in order and clean the algae.
Yea I know nutrients are an issue. I’m treating with NoPox and feeding less. I’m not rear big on WC’s maybe 15% every few weeks. From what I’ve researched nutrients aren’t lowered that much with wc’s unless you do a real big one. I’ve stopped feeding pellets. Have been feeding frozen food just once a day. Hopefully that will help lower nutrients.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A series of 30% water changes is your best bet. 2 a week until nitrate is 10 or lower. No one likes doing g water changes. However it's still the best method

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In October i added 2 pieces of pukani dry rock to established tank to provide more hiding spaces. I expected the uglies but about 2 months ago the gha showed up mostly on top surface of new rock. I’ve been trying to wait it out. Now I plan on removing the rock since it is not glued in place and scrubbing the algae off and rinse in RODI. Should i just do that and return rock to tank or should I let it sit out for a while. If so how long? I don’t want to kill off any good bacteria. Any other good ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Just curious, where else is hair algae growing in the system?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back