OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Front of that rock looks good.
If you can get a few snails, they can be a big help.

No worries, all at once, some at a time, doesn’t matter much.
Should I few clean up crew members during my water changes? I still have 2 more

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, If you have snails, place them on rocks.
If they move off, put them back.
Place in most affected areas first.
Just a few.

I don’t use any crabs, they just end up being a problem.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change number 2, got as much as I could off without my hands dying. Brushing gha is not for the weak haha. I will do 2 more water changes and by then I should get a clean up crew by wensday if the store gets some. Even if I’ll be able to get my hands on a few then that’s still helpful. Then I will start my testing and stability. 2L of Microbacteria7 comes in today and after the 2nd water change I will start the dosing

also do i turn off the red light and green on the tank?

IMG_5806.jpeg IMG_5807.jpeg
Or turn these two very minimal.
Both are loved by green algae.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or turn these two very minimal.
Both are loved by green algae.
Current status of after the 4th water change and 24 hours after it. Going to the lfs to see if there is any clean up crew I can get. I tried feeding pellets instead of that brine shrimp that caused my tank to be like this, but still creates the gha but not as bad as the brine. So I’m going to look for clean up crew and the shrimp I used to feed because my fish won’t eat as much brine or pellets.

What clean your crew should I look for? Any crabs, stuff like that?

Attachments

• IMG_7707.jpeg
    IMG_7707.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current status of after the 4th water change and 24 hours after it. Going to the lfs to see if there is any clean up crew I can get. I tried feeding pellets instead of that brine shrimp that caused my tank to be like this, but still creates the gha but not as bad as the brine. So I’m going to look for clean up crew and the shrimp I used to feed because my fish won’t eat as much brine or pellets.

I got 7 hermit crabs I guess for nowwwww

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pellets can easily put a load on your system.

Frozen puts much less as its mostly water.
I use nothing but.

Me, I don’t have anything but snails, Astrea, Mexican, Nirite.
And just a few of each, if you over load, they die off and then contribute to the problem.

The others either were lazy (crabs) or crazy (cleaned the bed in weeks and died).

When a stable tank matures, it’s the stuff we can’t see that keeps the tank clean, with just a little help for some snails.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets can easily put a load on your system.

Frozen puts much less as its mostly water.
I use nothing but.

Me, I don’t have anything but snails, Astrea, Mexican, Nirite.
And just a few of each, if you over load, they die off and then contribute to the problem.

The others either were lazy (crabs) or crazy (cleaned the bed in weeks and died).

When a stable tank matures, it’s the stuff we can’t see that keeps the tank clean, with just a little help for some snails.
I still have a massive of nutrients cause I’ll scrub gha and it’ll just come right back. But it’s not necessarily green it’s like a clear transparent color. I will take pics and test when I arrive home

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have a massive of nutrients cause I’ll scrub gha and it’ll just come right back. But it’s not necessarily green it’s like a clear transparent color. I will take pics and test when I arrive home
Transparent would indicate it’s certainly not thriving, then it would be green.

Mine went this way but it took quite sometime of my manual removal before the waters matured, then gone.

After the 100% water change over the past few days you should be very low on nutrients, assuming you don’t have phosphates or nitrates in your source water, or introduced via salt mix.

I’d test RODI first, then again after salt is mixed to rule this cause out.

If your getting high phosphate readings still, if you can drop a rock into a bucket of 0 phosphate tested saltwater for 24hours, then test, if you show phosphates, then possibly they come from the rock itself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I add
Transparent would indicate it’s certainly not thriving, then it would be green.

Mine went this way but it took quite sometime of my manual removal before the waters matured, then gone.

After the 100% water change over the past few days you should be very low on nutrients, assuming you don’t have phosphates or nitrates in your source water, or introduced via salt mix.

I’d test RODI first, then again after salt is mixed to rule this cause out.

If your getting high phosphate readings still, if you can drop a rock into a bucket of 0 phosphate tested saltwater for 24hours, then test, if you show phosphates, then possibly they come from the rock itself.
if the phosphates are low, should I add liquid phosphate in, or increase feeding maybe? I have a bottle of phosphate i used it awhile ago and forgot I still had it.z I can add like a drop or so in.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I add

if the phosphates are low, should I add liquid phosphate in, or increase feeding maybe? I have a bottle of phosphate i used it awhile ago and forgot I still had it.z I can add like a drop or so in.
When you add phosphate, you provide the second most important food for the algae which your trying to remove, next to light.

You just need trace phosphate amount, say .05-.1ppm.

Only zero is a bad number, and only zero I would bump slightly.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add phosphate, you provide the second most important food for the algae which your trying to remove, next to light.

You just need trace phosphate amount, say .05-.1ppm.

Only zero is a bad number, and only zero I would bump slightly.
Alr i should be home tonight to check. My neighbor found a one of my hermit crab dead, unless they shed?

Could it be possible my wrasse had a bite, cause I think I’ve seen him try to take them before

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alr i should be home tonight to check. My neighbor found a one of my hermit crab dead, unless they shed?

Could it be possible my wrasse had a bite, cause I think I’ve seen him try to take them before
Well they do grow and seek new bigger homes.
You dont need them, they are lousy cleaners in my mind, soon as they figure out we dump in food.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they do grow and seek new bigger homes.
You dont need them, they are lousy cleaners in my mind, soon as they figure out we dump in food.
Got back home, tank looks like this. I’m going to take out 30 gallons out of the 50 not sure what percentage that is maybe 70%. Then I’ll start testing everytnung 24 hours after it’s been mixed and proceed from there.

Not looking too good lol.

IMG_6083.jpeg

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got back home, tank looks like this. I’m going to take out 30 gallons out of the 50 not sure what percentage that is maybe 70%. Then I’ll start testing everytnung 24 hours after it’s been mixed and proceed from there.

Not looking too good lol.

IMG_6083.jpeg
I think your going to have to “chemical” those rocks, Nukem, or replace for a good reset.

You just cleaned them and it’s right back in force.

Some algaes are more prolific than others making them quite stubborn to remove.

Once they get a good hold, tough to beat without an algicide treatment, many ways on line.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your going to have to “chemical” those rocks, Nukem, or replace for a good reset.

You just cleaned them and it’s right back in force.

Some algaes are more prolific than others making them quite stubborn to remove.

Once they get a good hold, tough to beat without an algicide treatment, many ways on line.
I mean, it did take about two weeks for it to go back like that. I’m gonna assume maybe the neighbor fed heavy? should I just throw in reefflux at this point?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, it did take about two weeks for it to go back like that. I’m gonna assume maybe the neighbor fed heavy? should I just throw in reefflux at this point?
What’s the level of nutrients?
If overly high, you can starve them out by lowering them.
You going to need to kill the light at the same time.
If you starve it, (low nutrients no light) it should go on its own.

I did not think Reef flux worked on GHA, I used Vibrant years ago, took about 12 weeks, and wiped it out along with bubble algae but, many people have reported bad results with this product.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the level of nutrients?
If overly high, you can starve them out by lowering them.
You going to need to kill the light at the same time.
If you starve it, (low nutrients no light) it should go on its own.

I did not think Reef flux worked on GHA, I used Vibrant years ago, took about 12 weeks, and wiped it out along with bubble algae but, many people have reported bad results with this product.
Reefflux worked really well for me in the past. My phosphate is at 0 according to the api test kit. Never seen 0 before especially with the amount of food I’m feeding I did not expect it to be 0. Nitrate reading 0-5 ppm mainly on the 0 side which is amazing actually I’ve never seen results like this. And honestly not sure if I should retest if they are both saying 0.

What should I do? I hahe 30 gallons ready to change but not sure what to do, here is a pic of the tank. The gha is pretty easy to scrub off. I also have Liquid phosphate I can dump in just a little bit of it

Attachments

• IMG_6099.jpeg
    IMG_6099.jpeg
    175.3 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefflux worked really well for me in the past. My phosphate is at 0 according to the api test kit. Never seen 0 before especially with the amount of food I’m feeding I did not expect it to be 0. Nitrate reading 0-5 ppm mainly on the 0 side which is amazing actually I’ve never seen results like this. And honestly not sure if I should retest if they are both saying 0.

What should I do? I hahe 30 gallons ready to change but not sure what to do, here is a pic of the tank. The gha is pretty easy to scrub off. I also have Liquid phosphate I can dump in just a little bit of it
Gha came off really easy yesterday. I just scrubbed all of the rocks in the tank but not all

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your phosphate could read zero because the green on your rocks is using as food and pulling from the waters. So removing is always a good thing.

I have not used Reefflux, so can’t really help in that regard.

Not sure what your levels are, but zero (which I doubt) in either or both nutrients is a bad thing, this is where pest stuff thrives.

I think your parameters are in flux and until they can be stabilized, not much is going to change.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 35 38.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back