Gha removal

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I ran out of the normal mysis I feed and was forced to feee really heavy phosphate food. And my nutrients went through the roof and there is gha everywhere. So I’m wondering what is the best way to take the gha off the rocks? And I’m doing a 20% water change on a waterbox 50.3 aio later on today?

1. Scrub the rocks while they’re in the tank? (But will these release more phosphate/nitrate in the tank?)
2. TSKE each individual rock out and put it in the dirty water when I take it out, and scrub each rock in the bucket?

I used to use reefflux but I don’t want to go through the medication route, I would like to focus on the more biological route. Also I’m still working on getting my clean up crew since my died awhile back when I had a crash.

I’ll attach pics before the crash then when I got it under control and how it is now.

I always did have a high nutrient system my nitrates just never went down they always stayed at 50 even with water changes and skimmer

IMG_5447.jpeg IMG_5446.jpeg IMG_5443.jpeg IMG_5429.jpeg IMG_5428.jpeg IMG_5125.png IMG_5732.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well when I had it under control api test said .25 but now it’s gotta be insane
Ok, so yes to your plan 2.
25% water change every day for 4 days, this will bring our parameters mostly in check.
Keep nitrate and phosphate stable in terms of level, no rise, no fall week to week.
If they start a consistent upward trend, then either water change or carbon dose.
Never let either of them go zero.
Reduce white lights.
In time, your good algae and bacterium will out compete that green, or other stuff, provided your water chemistry stays absolutely stable.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, so I ran out of the normal mysis I feed and was forced to feee really heavy phosphate food. And my nutrients went through the roof and there is gha everywhere. So I’m wondering what is the best way to take the gha off the rocks? And I’m doing a 20% water change on a waterbox 50.3 aio later on today?

1. Scrub the rocks while they’re in the tank? (But will these release more phosphate/nitrate in the tank?)
2. TSKE each individual rock out and put it in the dirty water when I take it out, and scrub each rock in the bucket?

I used to use reefflux but I don’t want to go through the medication route, I would like to focus on the more biological route. Also I’m still working on getting my clean up crew since my died awhile back when I had a crash.

I’ll attach pics before the crash then when I got it under control and how it is now.

I always did have a high nutrient system my nitrates just never went down they always stayed at 50 even with water changes and skimmer

IMG_5447.jpeg IMG_5446.jpeg IMG_5443.jpeg IMG_5429.jpeg IMG_5428.jpeg IMG_5125.png IMG_5732.jpeg
Seeing no coral other than the one monti on this rock, I would place it in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're dead set on removing the GHA as you were mentioning pulling out your rock. You can always pull the rock out and get a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide that comes with a spray nozzle that actually will mist the peroxide. I've done it before and had great success. Just pulled the rock out and sprayed it with hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for 2 minutes then took a small brush and went over the Rock, dip it in some used tank water and put back in the tank. Otherwise ride it out and do as the other fellow mentions about doing 25% water changes.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing no coral other than the one monti on this rock, I would place it in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

Will do, phosphate before all this gha was .25, probsbly insane now. The tank is near a window but never direct sunlight. This is my light schedule since I got the monti, before I was running just 5% of something for the fish. And I am using RODI 4 stage.

Working on getting a clean up crew from the lfs just waiting for them to get some stuff.

What should I change my light settings too? Before there was hardly any gha even with these settings but now with that food it exploded everywhere.

Also, for my cal and alk, i turned it off when there were no corals in the tank but after a water change my levels are still insanely high, plus 500+ sometimes of calcium. How do I lower them so I can start to turn my dosers on? Just let the monti absorb it?
IMG_5442.png

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25% water change every day for 4 days, this will bring our parameters mostly in check.
Keep nitrate and phosphate stable in terms of level, no rise, no fall week to week.
If they start a consistent upward trend, then either water change or carbon dose.
Reduce white lights.
In time, your good algae and bacterium will out compete that green, or other stuff, provided your water chemistry stays absolutely stable.
This is what I said to someone down below

Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

Will do, phosphate before all this gha was .25, probsbly insane now. The tank is near a window but never direct sunlight. This is my light schedule since I got the monti, before I was running just 5% of something for the fish. And I am using RODI 4 stage.

Working on getting a clean up crew from the lfs just waiting for them to get some stuff.

What should I change my light settings too? Before there was hardly any gha even with these settings but now with that food it exploded everywhere.

Also, for my cal and alk, i turned it off when there were no corals in the tank but after a water change my levels are still insanely high, plus 500+ sometimes of calcium. How do I lower them so I can start to turn my dosers on? Just let the monti absorb it?

Attachments

• IMG_5442.png
    IMG_5442.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 26

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is what I said to someone down below

Its the indirect sunlight thats the issue as the power of UV this time of the year is strong and will penetrate shades-blinds and curtains. As I often suggest to others, place a sheet of black construction paper on the side of tank that faces window and you will in a few days see a reduction. The CA level is not overly high and yes allow coral to absorb it.

Bring blues down to 90% and reduce green and red to 4%

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the indirect sunlight thats the issue as the power of UV this time of the year is strong and will penetrate shades-blinds and curtains. As I often suggest to others, place a sheet of black construction paper on the side of tank that faces window and you will in a few days see a reduction. The CA level is not overly high and yes allow coral to absorb it.

Bring blues down to 90% and reduce green and red to 4%
Especially in the south where it’s 100 degrees. I’ll test and add the results to this thread once I’m done. And my light schedule is from 9-5:40. Not sure if I put that, and I will put reduce the settings too the percentages you recommended, thank you

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and by blues did you mean just blue or royal blue? Just wanted to confirm

Here are my settings at their peak hour, is that fine?

IMG_5734.png

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Oh and by blues did you mean just blue or royal blue? Just wanted to confirm

Here are my settings at their peak hour, is that fine?

IMG_5734.png
Blue and royal blue

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks like rocks going through the maturing process to me.
I agree with this. How old is the tank? It. Looks very similar to my 6 month old tank when I turn on white lights.
JMO but it probably wasn't caused by the food. I flood my tanks with pe mysis and a mix of ground up raw sea food that actually clouds the water for a while after feeding as none of it is rinsed. I feed 3 tanks this way 2-3 times daily without issue.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you had a tank crash? Were your phosphates lower then? What caused the crash?

I'm thinking that your tank was running well....then that coral biomass is gone...your tank has lost balance. You said you were feeding....are you still feeding the same amount or much less? I don't see much for fish.

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neglection to the tank, I thought it could run itself and stopped doing frequent water changes. Then raised nutrients then stuff started dying clean up crew, and a fish. Then Dino’s wiped out the whole tank

OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce white lights.
The tank today lol. making RODI right now and salt. So should be able to do a water change by tonight or tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_5758.jpeg
    IMG_5758.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
D

Devan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually crazy now, all that food triggered this haha.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually crazy now, all that food triggered this haha.
Nah, this is supposed to happen. Natural progression when using dry rock.

My tank being over 5 years now never gets algae. I don't bother testing anymore and do water changes 2 or 3 times a year.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back