GHL 2.4G? I've had enough!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PALADINljw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a whole set of GHL system. One thing I still don't understand is why GHL is still so backward in communication connection as a high-tech product. So far, it can only connect to 2.4G WIFI channel. In addition, the devices are so close to each other, why can't I connect with Bluetooth? I am fed up with so many wires.
Will the person in charge of GHL consider upgrading the firmware or other ways to improve the performance of device communication and transmission in the future?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully understand where you are coming from. I also find it very frustrating and am changing to a competitor system. Having said this, the router you use makes a big difference. I recently changed to a NETGEAR ORBI RB50 Mesh System that automatically assigns devices to either 2,4Ghz or 5,0Ghz and stopped having wifi issues with the Profilux and Dosers connection. I guess some routers play better with GHL than others.

OP
OP
PALADINljw

PALADINljw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The router model I use is netgear orbi rbk852, it can indeed intelligently allocate 2.4g and 5g networks, but ghl is not stable when it recognizes its 2.4g network. I can only re-purchase a power cat that only supports 2.4g. It is very inconvenient to use alone for ghl. Now the home WIFI network has developed to WIFI6, ghl can still only support 2.4g, which is really puzzling.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 7084 and there is newer. My connection is very stable. At work I have one run at 7081 and one at 7082. They needs to be restarted sometimes but no very often. At home with 7084 and combined 2.4 and 5 node it works well. At work with a a pure 2.4 node - it works rather well. Latest update

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
PALADINljw

PALADINljw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 7084 and there is newer. My connection is very stable. At work I have one run at 7081 and one at 7082. They needs to be restarted sometimes but no very often. At home with 7084 and combined 2.4 and 5 node it works well. At work with a a pure 2.4 node - it works rather well. Latest update

Sincerely Lasse
Thank you, but I still want to say that ghl is still lagging behind in the development of information transmission. This is not a problem that a technology company should have, they should keep up with the times.

Matt Peacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a whole set of GHL system. One thing I still don't understand is why GHL is still so backward in communication connection as a high-tech product. So far, it can only connect to 2.4G WIFI channel...Will the person in charge of GHL consider upgrading the firmware or other ways to improve the performance of device communication and transmission in the future?

Thank you, but I still want to say that ghl is still lagging behind in the development of information transmission. This is not a problem that a technology company should have, they should keep up with the times.

Why though? A ProfiLux transmits and receives a minuscule amount of data, and it already does so very quickly. You can see from these screenshots that mine could save up an entire day's worth of data and then transmit it all in 0.7 seconds (53.2 Mbps = 6.65 MB/s). Sure 5 GHz is faster than 2.4 GHz but it also has less range. As GHL gear is likely to be surrounded by a large body of water and/or in a wooden or metal cabinet, all of which attenuate Wi-Fi signals, I don't see the value in trading down on range (and reliability) in exchange for trading up on speed.

Now the home WIFI network has developed to WIFI6, ghl can still only support 2.4g, which is really puzzling.

There seems to be some confusion here. Wi-Fi 6 is just a marketing term for 802.11ax, which still uses both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. The ProfiLux 4 supports 802.11ac which was the latest standard when it was released in 2016, so I do not think it is puzzling that it does not support 802.11ax which is a technology that arrived afterwards (and very strictly speaking the 802.11ax standard is not yet finalised). To put this in perspective - the new MacBooks released in March 2020 did not even support 802.11ax.

but I would rather have a LAN port on the Profilux first.

Me too! I avoid Wi-Fi on any device that I can. I have the impression that will not occur though; it seems like an essential part of the ProfiLux firmware runs from the Wi-Fi chip itself. Just speculation on my part.

Screenshot 1.png Screenshot 2.png

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why though? A ProfiLux transmits and receives a minuscule amount of data, and it already does so very quickly. You can see from these screenshots that mine could save up an entire day's worth of data and then transmit it all in 0.7 seconds (53.2 Mbps = 6.65 MB/s). Sure 5 GHz is faster than 2.4 GHz but it also has less range. As GHL gear is likely to be surrounded by a large body of water and/or in a wooden or metal cabinet, all of which attenuate Wi-Fi signals, I don't see the value in trading down on range (and reliability) in exchange for trading up on speed.

There seems to be some confusion here. Wi-Fi 6 is just a marketing term for 802.11ax, which still uses both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. The ProfiLux 4 supports 802.11ac which was the latest standard when it was released in 2016, so I do not think it is puzzling that it does not support 802.11ax which is a technology that arrived afterwards (and very strictly speaking the 802.11ax standard is not yet finalised). To put this in perspective - the new MacBooks released in March 2020 did not even support 802.11ax.

Me too! I avoid Wi-Fi on any device that I can. I have the impression that will not occur though; it seems like an essential part of the ProfiLux firmware runs from the Wi-Fi chip itself. Just speculation on my part.

Screenshot 1.png Screenshot 2.png
My only confusion about the LAN port not being on a Profilux is simply this: why does Doser 2.1SA have one and Profilux doesn’t? Is there a way to make an adin card with one? I just want to hardwire it.

Matt Peacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only confusion about the LAN port not being on a Profilux is simply this: why does Doser 2.1SA have one and Profilux doesn’t? Is there a way to make an adin card with one? I just want to hardwire it.

Yes that's a good point actually, I keep forgetting about that. If an ADIN card with a LAN port was released then I would buy it for sure.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back