GHL controller - Before buying...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Not decided on my choice of aquarium controller for my new tank (in the UK). But I am leaning towards GHL because APEX seems to not support the UK market very well.

Is there anything I should know before buying?

I am looking to build an ultra low maintenance tank. Can this be done with GHL, what can be automated? What do we know about their equivalent to the Trident?

ispookie666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Not decided on my choice of aquarium controller for my new tank (in the UK). But I am leaning towards GHL because APEX seems to not support the UK market very well.

I am looking to build an ultra low maintenance tank. Can this be done with GHL, what can be automated? What do we know about their equivalent to the Trident?
Hey bud. I'm in Suffolk. The only controller I have used in GHL -Run a P3ex and P2.

Mine has pretty much automated everything
Lights - Mix of Mitras and LB2
Pumps - Tunzes all controlled using 0-10V
Returns -controlled through switchable socket
Carx - pH controlled, just trying to sort out a 0-10V controllable peri pump
Alk -KH Director
Skimmate locker - auto emptied using a peri pump when full
Plenty more using sump level
Temp control
Dosing
Adding a bit of NSW everyday - to cover for volume lost to KHDirector and skimmer

My old Profilux 2 runs my automated RODI production.

Last edited:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Recently switched from 5 years of apex use to GHL. Best decision ever.
Great controller, reliable, way less wires and modules, probs actually work, no more coding and things just work...
Oh and I am in US:)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proflux-4-0-packages.597041/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have Radion XR15 G4 Pro lights, MP40 power head and Vectra M1 pump (which I love) all with Reef Link (which I hate).

The tech is great, the usability is so poor. It makes no sense to programme easily.

I might leave EcoTech to run all my lights, pumps and powerbeads, but power them via the GHL plugs so I can monitor the voltage (at least for the return pumps).

Would you buy the KH Director or wait for the ION Director?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Profilux 4 on Monday, emailed them yesterday evening curious as to when I should expect it. No rush, just trying to figure out if it'll be here before I move a bunch of other stuff around or not. Vinny replied early this morning that it will ship today.

I decided to add a Propeller Breeze to the order, this would trip a lot of places up. I emailed Vinny to let him know, he already saw the order and planned on including it with the Profilux shipment so there wouldn't be a shipping charge on the 2nd order.

A+ service so far, excellent first impression :D

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have Radion XR15 G4 Pro lights, MP40 power head and Vectra M1 pump (which I love) all with Reef Link (which I hate).

The tech is great, the usability is so poor. It makes no sense to programme easily.

I might leave EcoTech to run all my lights, pumps and powerbeads, but power them via the GHL plugs so I can monitor the voltage (at least for the return pumps).

Would you buy the KH Director or wait for the ION Director?
The ion director isn't for alk so you would need the kh director anyway. The ion director from what I saw is only calcium and mag right now

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to RAP NY and bought the kh director and yesterday bought the profilux 4 mega set. The more I read into ghl the more I wanted to leave apex.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, so buy KH director and then Ion director later?

I will need 3 dosing pumps then right?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, so buy KH director and then Ion director later?

I will need 3 dosing pumps then right?
The khd will require one doser 2.1
It's not clear yet what would the ion director will require. I think one more doser. But not sure..

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I want run Triton, plus KHD, then Ion Director i will need 3 x dose 2.1?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I want run Triton, plus KHD, then Ion Director i will need 3 x dose 2.1?
Depend on what you ang to dose.
Ghl doser have 4 heads doser (2.1) and 2 heads doser(maxi).
Khd test and dose at the same time
In director os not clear what it will look like. The important thing is that they have it coming soon.
At the moment any route you do will need dosing heads as much as the dosing elements you need. At least ghl give both 2 heads and 4 heads options...

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the initial renders / mock up the IOD seems to be utilizing three heads like the KHD: 1 sample, 1 waste, 1 calibration fluid. Unsure how that will work with the multiple element probes, but planning wise I'd say expect another 4 head 2.1 doser to be packaged with the IOD unit itself.

USMCHerkNav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud. I'm in Suffolk. The only controller I have used in GHL -Run a P3ex and P2.

Mine has pretty much automated everything
Lights - Mix of Mitras and LB2
Pumps - Tunzes all controlled using 0-10V
Returns -controlled through switchable socket
Carx - pH controlled, just trying to sort out a 0-10V controllable peri pump
Alk -KH Director
Skimmate locker - auto emptied using a peri pump when full
Plenty more using sump level
Temp control
Dosing
Adding a bit of NSW everyday - to cover for volume lost to KHDirector and skimmer

My old Profilux 2 runs my automated RODI production.

I would love to see a write up on how you are doing the automated RODI production if you have it!

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconded.

I presume the RODI filter is left pressurised and then a solenoid opens the flow when needed?

ispookie666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go guys.
I used 2 solenoids (Normally closed) -one for RO feed water and the other for bypass/flush valve(I split it so that the bypass valve is still prrsent).

Its been a while since I have had to look at how I set this up and dont think Inhave changed anything.

I run an old Profilux 2 ex and STDL-4 on my RoDI station. The floats were DIY project, I'm not keen on sharing them - as I cannot guarantee the safety if the contraption.

In short I have two level switches in my RODi container. When the level drops and triggers the low level float - the solenoids are triggered. The bypass valve follows the timer and logic. And is turned on for 10min.

If you find any errors or omissions do let me know. It's been going on and I occasionally forget to change the DI resin and end up with TDS of 11 [emoji85]
4cfc7b909aaa1789ca8033c1410b346d.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back