GHL ION Director initial impressions

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is true, I am able to officially say I am was a beta tester of the GHL ION Director. I have been testing and the ION Director a few months, and it works very well. Today I was given the green light to begin posting content. I have been waiting a long time to talk about what I have been doing. I want to apologize to all the users who emailed me, PM'd me, and called me asking me questions about the ION. I was under a NDA and because of this could not speak of anything during the testing.

I have multiple videos in the works, but I really wanted to start with the impromptu video I made when I first received the unit. It took about 8 days to get the unit which arrived from Germany during COVID. I was quite excited when I received the unit so I just turned on the video on the iPhone and started to record.

Below is the unboxing Video of Ion Director:

I have other video’s that I am editing and finalizing that will be added to this post shortly .

These Include:
Initial setup of the unit
Running of the unit
Having the unit automatically adjust your dosing of Calcium and Magnesium
Testing results. (I am putting all the charts together now for final)

Below is a picture of the unit in action when I was doing doing multiple samples from 3 different tanks including my salt water mixing station:
just testing 1.jpg

Below is a picture of it the ION director within one of the aquarium cabinets where I began testing the same tank:
final_location.jpg

Below is a picture of one of the test completed today:
todays test.jpg

Below is a picture of just some of the kits I been using, I went through quite few test kits :)
testkits.jpg

More to follow :)

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I’ve been very curious about this piece of equipment

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CEReefer - Thank you for the comment!! I am encoding the next one now :)
Can’t wait! We all got a bit frustrated with the previous lack of communication from GHL (definitely improved lately!), this is definitely putting everyone’s mind at ease. Maybe they should hire you!

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon,

This is a short video on the Reference A and B Bottles. Since I used the Reference A and B bottles as my dosing containers while testing the ION Director, I thought it would be good to let others know the size of the bottles which I believe will helps others determine placement. Per GHL you can use dosing containers as long as the containers don’t allow evaporation. I have also included some observations on initial setup and testing. Enjoy!!

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon,

This is a short video on the Reference A and B Bottles. Since I used the Reference A and B bottles as my dosing containers while testing the ION Director, I thought it would be good to let others know the size of the bottles which I believe will helps others determine placement. Per GHL you can use dosing containers as long as the containers don’t allow evaporation. I have also included some observations on initial setup and testing. Enjoy!!

Do you know the material of the bottles? Should be written at the bottom. Trying to understand if HDPE containers would be chemically compatible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CEReefer - A HDPE container will work, just have to make sure it does not allow for the Evaporation :).

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the videos, quick question how much reference fluid per test will it use

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Robertoo - @Gaël is correct in the picture I am using a old KH Director bottle as a waste water bottle to measure the output of the waste, and not dumping it back into the tank. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was about having only one reagent and not a, b
This thing is of an accuracy that others aren’t even close to it. Auto calibration before each test, totally insane accuracy. To be honest, I would have liked PO4 too, but I understand the limitations of this technology at the moment (hopefully in the future there will be cost effective probes, capable of analyzing PO4 at the ultra low range we need in reef aquariums) but at the present moment, you can test whatever you want (like trident or mastertronic/reefbot) but if it’s a random number generator and has the accuracy of a pineapple, then it’s just useless.

Sure, 2 liquids to deal with, but pre-test calibration puts this device in a whole separate level. I criticized GHL when needed to be criticized, but when they manage to pull their magic, I can just give them credit, period.

Robertoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm sorry, I was wrong. Somewhere in the Ghl news, I read about a year ago that not two reference solutions would be used, but one. I may remember it badly, but did I use three dosing pumps in the beginning? I don’t remember there may have been four pumps in the original plan.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm sorry, I was wrong. Somewhere in the Ghl news, I read about a year ago that not two reference solutions would be used, but one. I may remember it badly, but did I use three dosing pumps in the beginning? I don’t remember there may have been four pumps in the original plan.
Nothing to be sorry about! :) it uses 3 dosers, they started with 4 but managed to improve it and use just 3.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back