GHL ION Director initial impressions

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question, but could you use a different brand’s dosing pump for the ion director? I have a 4 head versa pump and I’m only using 1 of the pumps. I’m curious if I could just order the ion director or if I’d need their pumps to go with it. Thanks!! This looks amazing!
No. You need to use the GHL doser. The ION Director communicates with the doser so...

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have posted a picture when I responded of the latest results :)
B15B47DB-4AAC-40EA-9F07-E9F05CB6F9E5.png

Last edited:

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey @Ditto , do you have the hanna High range nitrate checker? I have it and love it, but was wondering how the ion and hanna compare with no3

jim_fitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the videos

how are you using it to dose chemicals for Calc & Mag which is surely its main appeal ?

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Colin_S it seems the lower the No3 the more the hanna has been off from the IOND. In the upper values like this image shows it within 1-2 percent but notice when testing the lower vaule tanks where it between 5-10 and 0-5 and used both the high and low nitrate tester it would be between 5-7 percent off.

The ION across the multiple submission of water test was always within 1-2 percent across all the readings.

Back to Back also is where I saw the most deviation on Hanna, and again it the human element of making sure you drew the exact water (I used a scale) made sure all the regents were in and so forth.

I am slowly using the IOND to lower the nitrate on this tank which was over 50 when it started back in a January :) I am aiming for 10, and this tank has never had any water changes.

OP
OP
Ditto

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jim_fitz - 100 percent yes. I use to dose all equal on the tank it is on. Now the KH is dosing Aquaforest Compnent 2 while 1 and 3 are being controlled by the ION Director. The Ion is also adjusting nitraphos dosing also.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biff0rz - Per the GHL Store :) And no you will be required to purchase it from GHL, as it specific to the process used by the ION D. I did ask about Bulk larger sizes, and it is something they may consider later on, but right now they are focused to get the unit's out with the reference bottles sizes listed below. They have pallets of it on the way over now from Germany. They understand the importance of keeping it in stock for us in the US, so I would not expect us not being able to get it.

500 ML Ref A - 16.90
500 ML Ref B - 16.90

1000 ML Ref A - 26.90
1000 ML Ref B - 26.90
The Pallets are useless without the tester.

I ordered extra bottles of the fluids and haven’t heard a peep about them either. So I’m sitting on reciepts of Ion-D and extra cal fluid and get to hear how great a tester it would be if it ever arrives.

jim_fitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jim_fitz - 100 percent yes. I use to dose all equal on the tank it is on. Now the KH is dosing Aquaforest Compnent 2 while 1 and 3 are being controlled by the ION Director. The Ion is also adjusting nitraphos dosing also.
@Ditto
thanks for the prompt response
i just think that as that is the key to this kit, GHL should stop showing it with just a single doser, when in fact you need 2 to do this, and after all, why wouldnt you

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Colin_S it seems the lower the No3 the more the hanna has been off from the IOND. In the upper values like this image shows it within 1-2 percent but notice when testing the lower vaule tanks where it between 5-10 and 0-5 and used both the high and low nitrate tester it would be between 5-7 percent off.

The ION across the multiple submission of water test was always within 1-2 percent across all the readings.

Back to Back also is where I saw the most deviation on Hanna, and again it the human element of making sure you drew the exact water (I used a scale) made sure all the regents were in and so forth.

I am slowly using the IOND to lower the nitrate on this tank which was over 50 when it started back in a January :) I am aiming for 10, and this tank has never had any water changes.
Thanks Diito, for me im happy with those percentages. I don't worry about No3 too much, as long as it's in the 5-10ppm range. I can't wait to get the Ion director, but think it will be a Xmas present.. The hanna will be more than adequate until then

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any concrete information on probe life vs test per day/week/month? Still seems like a poker hand held close to the chest sort of info...

Edit: only important to those probably wanting to get cost per qtr, year, etc.

dlegare

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone other than Beta testers actually received their ion directors. Seem GHL has had nothing but delays and they're not very transparent regarding rollout to those who have one on order.

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone other than Beta testers actually received their ion directors. Seem GHL has had nothing but delays and they're not very transparent regarding rollout to those who have one on order.
I've seen quite a few people posting on FB that they have received the IOND.
Here for example:

mixy55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back