GHL KH Director and 2.1 Stand Alone doser not marrying up to computer

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had planned to wait and buy the GHL KH Director and SA doser once the ION Director came out by the end of this year. However, when GHL recently announced they are now pushing the date back for the ION director to March 31, 2020 begin ship date I took the plunge and bought the KH Directory and SA doser to at least get started. However, I spent many hours this past weekend trying to get the doser to marry up with my computer via the USB cable and it will connect but I keep receiving an error message stating the driver for the doser could not be loaded. I researched online and could not find any updated driver information on the GHL site. I researched many forums, watched all the videos on from the GHL help section talking about how to hook the unit up but all they talk about is "before you can move forward you must be on your wifi".....but that is the problem.....I can't get the blasted thing to get the initial hurdle crossed so I can get it to recognize my wifi. I have tried via different computers, laptops, etc in my office but same thing. Never in a million years would I have imagined it would be this difficult to get this thing up and running. My IT guy in my office stated after working with it for a couple of hours "send this thing back!" I do really want it to work and I have paid for my preorder for the ION Director so any advice/solution anyone can give me will be so greatly appreciated.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had planned to wait and buy the GHL KH Director and SA doser once the ION Director came out by the end of this year. However, when GHL recently announced they are now pushing the date back for the ION director to March 31, 2020 begin ship date I took the plunge and bought the KH Directory and SA doser to at least get started. However, I spent many hours this past weekend trying to get the doser to marry up with my computer via the USB cable and it will connect but I keep receiving an error message stating the driver for the doser could not be loaded. I researched online and could not find any updated driver information on the GHL site. I researched many forums, watched all the videos on from the GHL help section talking about how to hook the unit up but all they talk about is "before you can move forward you must be on your wifi".....but that is the problem.....I can't get the blasted thing to get the initial hurdle crossed so I can get it to recognize my wifi. I have tried via different computers, laptops, etc in my office but same thing. Never in a million years would I have imagined it would be this difficult to get this thing up and running. My IT guy in my office stated after working with it for a couple of hours "send this thing back!" I do really want it to work and I have paid for my preorder for the ION Director so any advice/solution anyone can give me will be so greatly appreciated.
Morning,
What version of Windows are you running? Do you have the GCC software installed?

OP
OP
M

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning,
What version of Windows are you running? Do you have the GCC software installed?
Windows 7. Yes, software installed on desktop as well as app on phone. Challenge is adding device can't be done due to computer not finding it and that due to driver not installing or wanting to install.

OP
OP
M

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give this a try. It is older, but should still be valid for getting the drivers installed, particularily step 12. https://www.aquacave.com/manuals/GHL-DOSER-2-Initial-set-up-via-USB.pdf

I'm also tagging @Vinny@GHLUSA for assistance
Thank you for your time in helping me vangvace, however, the PDF from aquacave.com is great but my problem is I can't get to the "GHL Control Center" they tell me to go to. I have logged into myGHL.com, which in theory is supposed to be the control center, however, it will not allow me to see anything until I "add device". I have tried, as well as my IT guy to find a way around it so we can get to the control center but we have hit many road blocks. The PDF from aquacave has a link to the GHL software so I was going to load that vs going to myGHL.com, however, the link is no longer valid. I have emailed and left a message for Vinny but have yet to hear back. I did call Bulk Reef Supply this morning, as they are the company I purchased my KH & pump from but they couldn't help and suggested I keep trying to reach Vinny as well. Very frustrating but Tyler, the rep I spoke to at BRS said once I get over this hurdle I will be very happy with the product. Hopefully that will be the case, as I am so frustrated at the amount of time that has been wasted on trying to get this thing to work that I'm about ready to box it up and ship it back to BRS. But.....I shall wait and hope for greener pastures soon. Thanks again.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What com port does the device show up as?

What com port settings are you setting in GCC when you try to connect?

How are you physically connecting? Is the cable proven as good?

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oic, GCC is a program that needs to be installed on the PC for initial setup and firmware updates. Afterwards, you can use web based or apps to access the device. Here is the link to the latest version of GCC. https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/ghl-control-center-v1-1-2-9/

edit: the GCC program will include the drivers and whatnot and after you set the wireless options and connect it to myghl you can rock and roll

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to finally get the GHL Control Center software installed on my computer. Sadly the driver is still giving me a struggle. Currently it's in the "installing driver software" loop. It's been in this loop for the last 15 minutes but I'll keep waiting. At least I'm one step closer.

OP
OP
M

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got out of it's loop seconds after I posted. However, not a positive move. States "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it."

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are computer related issues, not specific to the products themselves. Especially if the computer doesn't want to use or start the correct driver.

We have a video that explains how to manually install the correct driver if the computer doesn't use the correct one:

We also have videos that show you how to setup your KHD starting from the moment you take it out of the box:

If you want to get the Doser connected to your Wi-Fi network, follow this video:

There is also a resource guide dedicated to getting the doser up and running.
This is on the R2R GHL section:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfglvp0d4ucfe00/GHL Doser Resource Guide.pdf?dl=0

OP
OP
M

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so finally got driver to load. Watching GHL video 1. It shows after the driver is loaded and my computer recognizes the doser, thankfully it does now, then click on "systems settings page" then "assign devices". In the video it shows a list in the left side window, however, all mine shows in the left side window is "not connected" but does show at the top left that it is connected and I can see the info on the doser (serial number, etc) in the right hand pane so I know it's connected. At this point I'm trying to make the KH Director the slave to the pump....or at least that's my assumption. And I do have my PAB wire connected, rechecked to confirm. So at this point I'm unsure how to get the KH director to show in the left pane. I know the next step is to assign it to the pump but I gotta see it first. Any advice?

OP
OP
M

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are computer related issues, not specific to the products themselves. Especially if the computer doesn't want to use or start the correct driver.

We have a video that explains how to manually install the correct driver if the computer doesn't use the correct one:

We also have videos that show you how to setup your KHD starting from the moment you take it out of the box:

If you want to get the Doser connected to your Wi-Fi network, follow this video:

Hello Vinny,

My computer is now successfully communicating, or at least seeing the doser, however, my computer has nothing to do with the fact that once it's linked to the pump the software does not show the menu options on the left hand side of the screen, as it shows in the GHL videos. I tried opening up myGHL app on my phone to see if it would break through this barrier but once again as the videos show from GHL there should be a menu on the left side window but there is nothing so I can't "add device" to myGHL either. PLEASE, I'm begging you to help me figure out where this menu on the left is hidden. I have clicked on every tab option in the software but there is nothing hidden that I can find. I've been working on this non-stop since 9:20 this morning and 6 hours yesterday. I understand yesterday and this morning was operator error, however, I am looking directly at these videos, which I have watched over 30 times in the past few hours hoping to uncover a nugget of info that will help but the proof is in the visual.....what is showing in the video from GHL is not showing on my screen and it absolutely is communicating and is being recognized by my computer. Again, that tells me at this point it is not my computer it's the GHL software challenge.

OP
OP
M

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Vinny,
Is your email [email protected]? I would like to email you some screen shots of what I am seeing. Thank you

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can contact us through any of the support channels in my signature below.

OP
OP
M

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1576531419526.png

1576531440965.png

OP
OP
M

Mz. Fix It

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can contact us through any of the support channels in my signature below.
Hey Vinny,
I am going out tomorrow morning to buy a new laptop computer to set this doser & KHD up. I'm convinced it's not my computer at this point but in the event that is the case I have to assume a new laptop will bypass all these issues. If it does not how can I physically talk to you or another human being instead of dealing with this R2R contact? I sent you private msg last week but I never heard back. I left several msgs at the phone number given to me by BRS and still have received no contact. I opened up a ticket on the GHL site and am awaiting response to it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back