GHL Maxi Doser Head locked up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the GHL Maxi doser head lock up on this unit. The pump will try to start (about a 1/4 turn) then fail and make the noise heard in the video. If I take the head off and move it, then reinstall it operates normally. However if I let the unit sit for a day or two it will lock up again.

The head is well lubricated from the factory, the wheels all move freely when I pull the drive out of the head.

I have yet to employ this doser full time into my system as I honestly don't trust it.

I'm wondering if this is a systemic problem with the GHL Maxi Doser or is it just my bad luck. Had anyone else with a Maxi Doser experienced this?

I do have a ticket in at GHL on this problem. I had one head already replaced on this unit. I just don't trust this thing to do the job right now.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running the them on fast speed? I had an issue where I was running the maxi on fast supper and it would do this but on medium or slow it would not. After about a week on medium I was able to move it back to fast.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are all on fast (3). For this one I’ll drop it down to speed 2 and see how it works. Considering I‘m just testing things I can try it.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ditto @Vinny@GHLUSA

I guess the next question is this a direct gear drive off the motor? Is there a slipper clutch to prevent damage?
Has damage been done to the gears from the first time this happend?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you contact them? What did they say?
We slowed the head down and I’m running it like this, the thought is it needs a bit of a break in. Once it’s ran at slower speed for a couple weeks I’ll crank it up and see if it can handle high speed.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We slowed the head down and I’m running it like this, the thought is it needs a bit of a break in. Once it’s ran at slower speed for a couple weeks I’ll crank it up and see if it can handle high speed.

Interesting. I wonder what part they are trying to “wear in”- the peristaltic tubing itself, or gears that are meshed too tightly.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wonder what part they are trying to “wear in”- the peristaltic tubing itself, or gears that are meshed too tightly.
The grand plan is this head will dose Kalk into my tank so the truth of the matter is that if it works at slower speeds it's fine.

But the first time I plugged in either of my Maxi pumps each head made this noise and wouldn't turn. However 1 unit worked fine after the initial problem and has worked fine steady for a week. The other unit we changed one head on and the remaining head is the one in question in this post.

I don't think it's a gear mesh issue as when this problem would happen I would pop off the head and the spindle would turn fine. I'm no engineer so I can't be positive.

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new maxi and one of the heads is doing the exact same thing. Works fine on slower speeds though....
Where you ever able to turn the speed back up after the “break in” period was over? I ant to use it for an AWC and I guess it would still work in the slower speeds

Attachments

• IMG_2467.MOV
    31.1 MB

Member No 1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new maxi and one of the heads is doing the exact same thing. Works fine on slower speeds though....
Where you ever able to turn the speed back up after the “break in” period was over? I ant to use it for an AWC and I guess it would still work in the slower speeds
I'm doing AWC with the Maxi set on Speed 2. It's set up using the 2 float method changing ~1.5gal/day - twice a day. No issues, been working great.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, after a week or two I was able to go up two speed #3.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like this ?

My Maxi has been locking up every now and then on it's own....not necessarily when I push the Menu button like lakai. For the longest time, the blue cap would loosen up and I then I would find that the tube came off the roller. Now, it sometimes jams without the cap coming off. Here is a video I just submitted (with a ticket) to demonstrate the SOUND that is making. (I don't have a video of it jamming.)

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes you wonder if all these maxi problems are why they are not available anymore.
Ratcheting heads, lines splitting...

The Euro website when you go to the actual page for the Maxi it errors.
The US site only has one type left in stock.. guessing when it’s gone they are done.

Others have come here and asked what’s going on but GHL is being tight lipped.

Euro site:

US site:

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having just purchased 1 I hope the line is not being dropped. I suspect it's more a supply issue for raw material due to COVID and suppliers.

But I agree - feedback seems to be consistent with possibly a design flaw. Heads locking up, clicking and lines splitting. All seem solvable to be.

Do the APEX units running the same brand of head (2 roller version) not have the same quality/reliability issues? (I don't monitor APEX threads)

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, after a week or two I was able to go up two speed #3.
I ran about 5 gallons on low 5 gallons on mid and now high speed works fine. All it would take is a simple note on the doser saying that a breakin period is necessary.

I’m happy with everything else. And I’m happy that I don’t have to spend 700$ on a controller to use a 300+ doser.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ticket logged with GHL. Went to check something for them this morning for troubleshooting. The hose has split itself. Updated the ticket - I am sure GHL will come good with warranty but I would feel more comfortable if the cause of these splitting that seems to be common was found (batch issue of hose/head), etc

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ticket logged with GHL. Went to check something for them this morning for troubleshooting. The hose has split itself. Updated the ticket - I am sure GHL will come good with warranty but I would feel more comfortable if the cause of these splitting that seems to be common was found (batch issue of hose/head), etc
After the run around I got, I’m really interested to see what they do for you.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 148 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back