GHL Powerbar and large heaters

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GHL Powerbar 6E are supposed to hold 15A per bar or per socket...or are they?

Recently had an 800w (9amp) Finnex titanium heater get really hot on one of my sockets on my powerbar so I junked the heater as I figured it was 8 months old so could of been on its way out and bought a new one that was the same brand and wattage; 800w (9amp) Finnex.

Decided to move the heater to a different outlet on the bar and a few days later wife noticed an electrical burning smell. Run downstairs and sure enough the smell is near my controller cabinet, which is completely away from any chance of water hitting it. I cut the power to the breaker for my tank outlets (dedicated 2 x 20amp circuits).

Needless to say the heater melted the entire socket and was probably really close to catching fire. I've heard rumors over the years to not run heaters on these types of things, but with a 15amp threshold you would think a 9amp heater wouldn't do anything. Apparently I was wrong. Sadly it's not something covered via any kind of warranty or something I can get repair parts for.

And just to be 100% the only other thing on the power bar was a small ATO pump that doesn't even register power draw when it's on, a small led light strip that pulls .05amps when it is turned on, which it wasn't at the time, and a small Tunze 6055 in my sump to move water which pulls .4-.5amp.

So those with large heaters on controller powerbar/outlets I would think twice before doing it. It was admitted to me that GHL knows they have had issues with Finnex heaters, BRS heaters, and Inkbirds on their powerbars.

I tried to post this on the FB group for GHL, but it is bad press so it got denied. Not shocked!

Rant over.

20230212_203359.jpg 20230212_205917.jpg 20230212_203352.jpg 20230212_205926.jpg

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. This is the main reason I was going to go with GHL for my retirement build. I will have 2 800w heaters with a controller but I wanted the profilux as a back up failsafe.

OP
OP
wildcrazyjoker81

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for this. This is the main reason I was going to go with GHL for my retirement build. I will have 2 800w heaters with a controller but I wanted the profilux as a back up failsafe.
I ended up switching down to the BRS 600W Schego heaters as they only pull 5 amps vice the 9 amps out of the 800w. One is keeping my 260G system at temperature perfectly with the other as a failsafe.

OP
OP
wildcrazyjoker81

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's usually a per socket limit as well. On my Neptune EB832 it needs to under 800 watts or 7 amps.
The GHL site says "Maximum current in total / per socket: 15 A / 15A"

Seems odd a 9A heater would kill an outlet when I didn't meet either limit. I just chalked it up to I could have gotten a lemon.

OP
OP
wildcrazyjoker81

wildcrazyjoker81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

Sorry for that.

Did you open a support ticket?

Gaël
@Gaël I did not as I got a quick response from Vinny about it. He said its not something GHL Warranty covers. I really wish I could just buy the replacement socket and have a good buddy of mine who is able to repair micro circuitry replace the outlet, but he said that isn't something GHL does either. Sadly I now have a power bar with 5 good sockets that I am afraid to use.

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

In this case Vinny must have explained to you that the Powerbar is not at fault, the pictures clearly show that it is the plug of the heater that overheated.
So it's the heater that damaged the Powerbar and not the other way around, that's why it's not a case covered by the warranty, sorry for that.
You should contact the manufacturer of your heater.

There is no particular problem to operate a device of up to 15A (with 15A max in total) on the Powerbar 6E-PAB USA/CND, it is designed for this and has the necessary protection.

Regarding the fact that your post would not have been validated on the official GHL Facebook group it is understandable, the Facebook group is not the place to discuss individual support issues and even less when a product is damaged by an external cause.

Concerning the repair, as Vinny indicated, it is not possible, for reasons of responsibility and insurance, to propose to the customer to replace himself power related or affecting safety parts of the Powerbar, which is the case here.

On the other hand, if you are interested there is surely a way for a repair by GHL or for a replace offer at an interesting price, so please submit a ticket.

Gaël

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back