GHL powerbar STDL4-4 question

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to find a longer cord to connect my powerbar 4-4 to my Profilux. I need something about 35 feet long. Can I buy a cable on Amazon or do I need to order from GHL? Does anyone know what kind of cable this is? Thanks for your help!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to find a longer cord to connect my powerbar 4-4 to my Profilux. I need something about 35 feet long. Can I buy a cable on Amazon or do I need to order from GHL? Does anyone know what kind of cable this is? Thanks for your help!
I believe it is an RJ12 cable, which is a standard telephone cable. You should be able to get it anywhere and make it work.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is an RJ12 cable, which is a standard telephone cable. You should be able to get it anywhere and make it work.

*** I dont have the GHL powerbar so I cant be of help there *** however I wanted to expand just a bit on Brew's post above.

Firstly you've probably come across the acronyms RJ11, RJ12, RJ45, etc before as these are very common cable types, the RJ stands for registered jack which is the standard for the connector housing and the following two numbers denote the specific standard of the cable. MOST people will use RJ11 for phone systems which is a 6pin connector with 4 of the pins carrying signal (leaving 2 pins unused) whereas the RJ12 standard is a 6P6C meaning all of the pins are utilized with 6 wires for carrying signal. In my experience RJ12 cables are really only used in large POTS (plain old telephone systems running over copper) for enterprise PBX systems as they use the additional signal carrying pins. For instance my reefkeeper REQUIRES a 6P6C cable to connect modules with.

If you were to run to a radio shack equivalent and buy a regular telephone cord it will (99% of the time IME) be an RJ11 with only the 4pins occupied. Now I am not sure of the GHL pinout and if it needs a 6P4C cable or a 6P6C cable but I wanted to clarify a bit that what most of us think of telephone cable may not work in this scenario. Amazon has a ton of 6P6C cables for dirt cheap.

Here is a 50ft RJ12 cable on amazon

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** I dont have the GHL powerbar so I cant be of help there *** however I wanted to expand just a bit on Brew's post above.

Firstly you've probably come across the acronyms RJ11, RJ12, RJ45, etc before as these are very common cable types, the RJ stands for registered jack which is the standard for the connector housing and the following two numbers denote the specific standard of the cable. MOST people will use RJ11 for phone systems which is a 6pin connector with 4 of the pins carrying signal (leaving 2 pins unused) whereas the RJ12 standard is a 6P6C meaning all of the pins are utilized with 6 wires for carrying signal. In my experience RJ12 cables are really only used in large POTS (plain old telephone systems running over copper) for enterprise PBX systems as they use the additional signal carrying pins. For instance my reefkeeper REQUIRES a 6P6C cable to connect modules with.

If you were to run to a radio shack equivalent and buy a regular telephone cord it will (99% of the time IME) be an RJ11 with only the 4pins occupied. Now I am not sure of the GHL pinout and if it needs a 6P4C cable or a 6P6C cable but I wanted to clarify a bit that what most of us think of telephone cable may not work in this scenario. Amazon has a ton of 6P6C cables for dirt cheap.

Here is a 50ft RJ12 cable on amazon
Good to know! I didn't think the RJ11's were used anymore.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back