GHL

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use any of GHL's controllers? I was just doing some research on them because I saw their booth at reefapalooza yesterday and I was really impressed with their newest system the Profilux 4.

I know a lot of y'all are Apex users, I currently use the DA reefkeeper elite, I'm not disappointed in it, it has served me well for many years.

I was toying with the idea of a newer, more feature rich and well designed controller system for my main display and I would use the RK elite on one of my other tanks.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get great reviews. I think @d2mini, among others, uses the controller. Maybe he'll chime in.

OP
OP
MagisterDamask

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great controller.
Couldn't be happier.

Their customer service is excellent!

Thanks for the reply chefjpaul. Good to know.

Is the wireless portion and smartphone connectivity seamless? Or are there problems that need to be ironed out?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know @reefwiser is also a GHL user. He can add some thoughts here as well. Any other #GHLusers around?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought of updating your DA system with DA's Archon head unit. Most of you modules will be compatible with it. The NET, RD1 and RKE head unit are not compatible at this time. I upgraded it is a night a day difference between them. The Archon has built in wifi and is completly web based so it will work with a smart phone, tablet or computer using your browser. It uses functions like the RKE. main differences are you can assign multiple alarms to any output. Alarms, timers, ports and modules can all be named.

OP
OP
MagisterDamask

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini , did you own any other controllers prior to the Proflux? If so, what are the main differences you see that would knock this out of the park for me.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a programmable controller tech at my work for the past 30 years so I love PLC work. I own Apex and GHL I like the simple programing of GHL everything is drop down list's of functions. Once you understand the basics it is easy to do. Every reliable and With good customer service. They will work with you one on one to get it set up for you. When you run into an issue.

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the comment above; I bought a Profilux 4 package last year to run along with my Apex setup, and finally got time to take it out of the box last night. It took about 30 minutes of clicking through all the menu options to get a feel for the layout, but I had it connected to wifi and a simple ATO program running within an hour of turning it on, so I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The drop down programming style is extremely intuitive.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini , did you own any other controllers prior to the Proflux? If so, what are the main differences you see that would knock this out of the park for me.
Reef Keeper.
Back in 2012 when I was looking to change, of course I was looking at Apex because that's what everyone else does. ;Penguin
Then I came across Profilux and two things stood out.
1) No need to use any kind of programming language (Apex Fusion wasnt out yet). Everyone said it was real easy to program and they were correct.
2) I couldn't find ANY instances of catastrophic failures. None. Zilch.
2b) If something minor did go wrong, there is a high chance it can be fixed at home. The Profilux opens up like a PC. Things can be added, swapped out, etc. All at home. So less downtime when you don't need to send things back to the manufacturer. Same with upgrades. So the Profilux is more future proof.

Since owning multiple pieces of GHL equipment since then... OMG. The build quality alone is second to none.
It has also been the most stable and well engineered (software, firmware, hardware) equipment I've owned.
I've also come to appreciate how most everything you need is included in one small package. No need for a bunch of add-on boxes/wires.

Other controllers may be first to market with certain features or add-ons, but GHL designs everything from the ground up and nothing is released until they feel it is ready for prime time.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have an iPhone app as well as a web-based interface. I don't own one so someone else will have to chime in about functionality, etc.

OP
OP
MagisterDamask

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies and good information. I emailed GHL USA this morning with some specifics about my current set up as well as future upgrades and to see if they would custom tailor a system for my needs. We will see what happens.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have myGHL which is their web based monitor and control You get all the functions of the computer software on the web browser.

OP
OP
MagisterDamask

MagisterDamask

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have myGHL which is their web based monitor and control You get all the functions of the computer software on the web browser.

I would consider this, however, the phone/internet service provider we have in our area is unreliable. The speed is fast enough but you can't rely on it to be functioning properly.

We experience internet outages at least once per week. AT&T has not made it this far into the North Georgia mountains yet.

So I need the capability of directly accessing the controls and software without the internet if i need to.

Thanks again for all of the responses and opinions!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back