GHL

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can access with built in wifi and not use the internet it has a built in webserver. An you can use a USB cable to connect to your Profilux and also connect to the wifi in the unit to program the unit. They even have a SMS box that can send you txt messages to your phone of alerts.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they enabled in the p4 just yet (maybe they have, i just installed the latest firmware last night and forgot to check), but with the p3 you don't need the SMS.
You can get email and text alarms, set up in the GCC software.

I don't understand why the SMS module costs as much as the Profilux itself.

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they enabled in the p4 just yet

That makes sense; I'm new to the Profilux world and have been totally lost in trying to setup email alarms and not seeing the option anywhere. But this functionality should be coming soon, correct?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense; I'm new to the Profilux world and have been totally lost in trying to setup email alarms and not seeing the option anywhere. But this functionality should be coming soon, correct?
I hope so. This is a pretty dang important feature, IMO.

The one advantage to the SMS module is that it has an internal battery, so you'll know if power goes out.
But I usually get a notification from my nest cam if it goes offline for more than 10 mins, then I can check the GHL webserver and see if I can connect or not. No connection, no power, start to worry. lol

Jeffdstafford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, yep you've got a good path laid out to know when to panic! I'm going to run both my current Apex system alongside my new Profilux, mainly because I have way too much $ invested in Apex at the moment to try to emulate with the Profilux, but I am going to switch over some of the vital functions from the Apex to the P4, and honestly will probably transition over to the Profilux piece by piece over the coming years. I used to manage an oilfield automation team for work, and we used ~$15k controllers to run our facilities, and in my opinion the Profilux is very similar to those in build quality and the software interface, so I would feel better having the foundational controls handled by the P4.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider this, however, the phone/internet service provider we have in our area is unreliable. The speed is fast enough but you can't rely on it to be functioning properly.

We experience internet outages at least once per week. AT&T has not made it this far into the North Georgia mountains yet.

So I need the capability of directly accessing the controls and software without the internet if i need to.

Thanks again for all of the responses and opinions!

Both Profilux and Apex have the ability to have a hardwired control panel. Profilux can be directly connected to a PC for full programming capabilities. In addition, you should be able to access both of them over your LAN (local home network) even if your ISP connection is down.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a ReefKeeper Elite to the Profilux P4. I couldn't be happier! I looked at upgrading to the Acheon and Apex, but solid build and reputation for reliability won out.

My only minor complaint is that not all the promised features were available at release. Although, they keep adding more promised features with each firmware/software update. I think the reason for phasing in new features gradually is to ensure reliability through beta testing prior to releases.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies and good information. I emailed GHL USA this morning with some specifics about my current set up as well as future upgrades and to see if they would custom tailor a system for my needs. We will see what happens.
They got back to me in a few days but with really detailed information. Extremely helpful. Its the main reason I will go with the Profilux (plus, as D2mini suggested, I did look up catastrophic failures and well, take a look. I was convinced).

cmirrig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider this, however, the phone/internet service provider we have in our area is unreliable. The speed is fast enough but you can't rely on it to be functioning properly.

We experience internet outages at least once per week. AT&T has not made it this far into the North Georgia mountains yet.

So I need the capability of directly accessing the controls and software without the internet if i need to.

Thanks again for all of the responses and opinions!

MagisterDamask, I just came across your questions regarding a potential GHL purchase. Wondering what you did and your comments. I'm at the same point trying to decide about using a GHL on my upcoming build

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back