Ghl

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gharris527

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why didn’t ghl ion directer and the kh directer just merge into one unit so u don’t have to buy 2 units for tank automation like the Neptune trident come on ghl get it together

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The KH unit uses a PH probe. The Ion units Ion probes. Two totally different types of technology.

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stuffing 2 lots of tech into 1 unit will likely almost double the price. Flip side is you also wouldn't be able to buy one and not the other depending on your needs.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cause GHL is soooooooo much better than Neptune!
No use for fanboy stuff. It’s always Great to have choice. The reason why the trident is hard to get is because it test’s three parameters. That was a decision Neptune made. Every vendor has a different take on testing. I remember at the MACNA in San Diego when Jim Welsh brought his alk tester to show people. Neptune didn’t think people wanted automatic testing. But the the reaction of hobbyist changed their mind.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No use for fanboy stuff. It’s always Great to have choice. The reason why the trident is hard to get is because it test’s three parameters. That was a decision Neptune made. Every vendor has a different take on testing. I remember at the MACNA in San Diego when Jim Welsh brought his alk tester to show people. Neptune didn’t think people wanted automatic testing. But the the reaction of hobbyist changed their mind.
Fanboy??? Check the marketplace and see how much Apex stuff is for sale and how much Ghl stuff is for sale.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure there is enough space for both within the form factor. The KHD takes up a ton of space and uses a larger water sample than what the IOND is slated to use; 60-100ml vs ~10ml for the KHD and IOND respectively.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ion Director uses a probe to get the readings. The fluids are only to calibrate that probe before the sample is introduced. The same as calibrating your new probes on any controller that exists. Kh Director works by adding reagent to the sample until it reaches a certain number. If they where in the same unit the reagent would screw up the ion sensors. It’s been said for a long time now that alkalinity is the most important thing to keep track of. Kh Director allows you to test just that and not be forced to test other parameters as well.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure there is enough space for both within the form factor. The KHD takes up a ton of space and uses a larger water sample than what the IOND is slated to use; 60-100ml vs ~10ml for the KHD and IOND respectively.

I agree but I also think the form factor could have been changed to make both fit using seperate tanks for the probes. With enough tubing pinch off valves and flow directors they might have been able to use one four head dosing pump for both. I am not sure of this as it would seem like five heads would be needed but if I look at the original Ion Director it used the same line for water in/out. That would mean that one doser with enough mods in the unit might have worked. That would be a lot of size savings and cost cutting on the one unit versus two separate units.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but I also think the form factor could have been changed to make both fit using seperate tanks for the probes. With enough tubing pinch off valves and flow directors they might have been able to use one four head dosing pump for both. I am not sure of this as it would seem like five heads would be needed but if I look at the original Ion Director it used the same line for water in/out. That would mean that one doser with enough mods in the unit might have worked. That would be a lot of size savings and cost cutting on the one unit versus two separate units.
Your logic unfortunately is including points of potential failure. Pinch off valves and diverters can fail and being that they would likely be internal they then become unserviceable. At least not by the average person. The ion probe is always in the device just like the ph probe is in KHD. What effect would the KH reagent have on the probes. Theoretically you could make on big system to do all of it but you would need 2 water chambers still and still need 7 dosing heads. Alkalinity is the important parameter. The KHD allows you to keep track of that alone. I know apex users that use a KHD and an extra doser because they either couldn’t get a trident, gave up waiting, or just didn’t want to be forced into the trident testing schedule.

U

User1

View Badges
Why didn’t ghl ion directer and the kh directer just merge into one unit so u don’t have to buy 2 units for tank automation like the Neptune trident come on ghl get it together

Can't speak why but just know that they came out at different times, different technology. Who knows what was ready or not on the road map. Also Trident is different. Both Ion and Trident will be awesome in their respected places and help the hobbyists out.

Don't over think it and hobby on!

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically you could make on big system to do all of it but you would need 2 water chambers still and still need 7 dosing heads.
No you don't need 7. The inlet and outlets could be combined onto two pumps using a pinch off valve to select which chamber is in use. That bring it down to 5 heads but it is possible that the inlets and outlets could be combined as in the original design and that brings it down to four heads.

I get the servicing issue but if I was redesigning it I would make the unit modular and keep the water chambers and pinch off valves in a separate compartment that would be removable by the user and just have a bus connector going to the other section. This would eliminate any possible water damage to the electronics. Also since the Electronics are probably very similar in both the kH and Ion it would mean you could hack out one of them and modify the PCB to work with both sections. I would bet good money that if they ever make another water testing system in the future, it will be done in one unit. That is the direction all the companies are heading in!
BTW the size of this thing would in my estimation would not be like two units stacked on top of each other but probably just 50% taller than a single unit. Also pretty sure the kH director already uses pinch off valves. Not the ideal solution but I guess they have faith in it over the long term.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back