Ghost or shadow overflows

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being green behind the gills so to speak I’m was wondering if the Shadow / ghost overflows are an after market project or are there any AIO or tanks that already have this type system already in place?

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space is the only disadvantage I can think of. Rather the space behind the aquarium :)

I personally like having my tank away from the wall though. Easier to service things

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know which tank manufacturers will include a ghost-style oveflow. I’m unaware that any of the mass-markets do. Maybe some of the smaller, custom houses will. When I bought my 450 gallon acrylic tank, I bought the oveflow myself and shipped it to the tank maker so they could drill the holes in the right place. Would have been easy enough for me to have done it .... but it was an expensive tank so I had them do it. My tank prior to that was a Marineland 265 reef ready and I always regretted not buying the standard tank and grinding for a ghost oveflow myself.

Compared to a mass-market reef ready tank, the advantages of an aftermarket overflow are many. Takes up less space in the tank. More linear oveflow means better skimming and greater GPH. Most reef-ready tanks are built around the Durso (putuwee!). Cannot do a bean; even herbie can be tricky.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miracles Aquariums will include and install a Reef savvy Ghost Overflow in almost any of there standard sized stock tanks as long as the tank is large enough. You can go custom with any of there standard tanks and add return holes as well. I personally went with there external overflow. It's the slimmest look going and didn't cost any extra, probably because it was a custom build but the ghost overflow would have been an additional cost.

You can look into the Innovative Marine EXT line that already have an external overflow installed in there tank, they are set up for a Herbie style drain and include some of the plumbing as well.

http://www.innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/nuvo-ext-lagoon50.html

Just one of there tanks that includes this type of overflow.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back