Giant bite marks under acropora?

Miami Reef

Reef Chem Enthusiast
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
17,251
Reaction score
29,661
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit. I think I figured it out.
 
Last edited:
Oh boy….had me worried.
This is what it looks like.

IMG_0079.jpeg



I think I might know what’s causing this.
 
What's your theory?
I’ll let you know in a few weeks, if I’m correct. It’s the only change I’m going to make. I have other acros and clams that’s been struggling, and I think I might know why, but I won’t say publicly because I’ll feel foolish if I’m wrong.
 
I’ll let you know in a few weeks, if I’m correct. It’s the only change I’m going to make. I have other acros and clams that’s been struggling, and I think I might know why, but I won’t say publicly because I’ll feel foolish if I’m wrong.
Ehhh...we're all fools in this hobby sometimes..lol.
 
Usually it’s one of four….nutrients, chemistry, light, or swing. Sometimes a combination.
 
Update!!

I made several changes, and I got the problem fixed.


Before:
IMG_0579.jpeg



After:
IMG_0576.jpeg



I took a long and hard look at any potential causes and solved them. I don’t know exactly what the cause was, but we’re good now!
 
I tried typing it out, but it was getting really long and complicated to explain. It was a very involved process of narrowing potential issues and then adding things back.

I did an ICP test, killed potential predators, stopped potential chemical dosing culprits, and did a large water change. I then adding things back when I believed I found the culprit.

I think I might have 4-5 potential causes that I permanently ruled out. It was all about ruling things out and then adding other things back.

Here’s one example, I initially thought my elevated alkalinity was the culprit. I lowered it during the diagnostic process. Now it’s back up to where I want it and the corals are fine. Thus, the alkalinity wasn’t the issue.

Here’s another example: I thought maybe my trace elements were toxically elevated, so I stopped dosing trace elements for a week prior to sending the ICP. The result showed very low trace elements, so I ruled that out.


That’s the kind of process I do. It’s meticulous and methodical.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 36.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new