OP
jamesfatherree

jamesfatherree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved your book, read it cover to cover, looking forward to the new edition. :)

In one tank, I've had no luck with clams at all, and have tried all but gigas.
I suspect perkinsus is present in the water. Could be other factors but I haven't identified them.

In another almost identical tank, I've only placed one maxima, but it has been thriving and growing there for 13 months.
6" now, sitting in the sand, receiving 250 PAR max from 3 Radion XR15s, 2 blue+, and 2 actinic T5 bulbs.

IMG_6692b.jpg
Thanks! Glad you liked the book. And thanks for the lighting info, too :) Very nice clam!

OP
OP
jamesfatherree

jamesfatherree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't related to your clam question, but as a fellow author, may I ask, are you self publishing or is your book professionally published? Im a 17 year old author trying to break into the book industry, which is apparently incredibly hard. :D

Luke, I don't plan on ever going through a publisher again. These days you can learn to put a book together yourself and publish it as an e-book and/or paperback on Amazon, and elsewhere. I do recommend paying someone else to edit/proofread anything you publish, though. The downside is that you have to do all of the advertising, of course...
I hate to say it, but for what publishers pay now (and because of the low sales of aquarium books due to the internet), it's not worth writing anything that you don't self-publish.

OP
OP
jamesfatherree

jamesfatherree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It looks even better that what I can capture in a picture too. I'm a terrible photographer. It also grows some large scutes on the side, it was listed as a Dermosa hybrid when I bought it but I've just kind of worked with the assumption it's a unique Derasa based on some of what I've seen from you about hybrids.

It has recently been proven that hybrids can be intentionally created between maxima and noae. However, that doesn't automatically mean that other species can do the same. Maybe some can, maybe they can't... Regardless, I can say for a fact that a lot of clams sold as hybrids definitely are not hybrids. I'd bet that includes yours. This is the first time that I've heard of a "dermosa", but looking at your pics I think that's just a derasa. Since writing my book in 2006, I've found that there are some particular derasas that do produce scutes, especially when small, and these also have the little clear to translucent windows in the mantle (like yours does). I've attached a pic of a farmed one in Tonga.
IMG_5686b.jpg

OP
OP
jamesfatherree

jamesfatherree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant wait for the new book. I absolutely love clams. I will see about renting a par meter so I can get the readings.
Thanks Rob. I'm wrapping things up this week, though. So, if you have anything to add, it's gotta be now! :)

Greg Witherell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Derasa. Bought at 3 inches 8 months ago now is closer to 7 inches and growing fast. Lights are 2 hydra 26 running AB+ spectrum and 2 t-5s (one actinic and one Blue) Par is at 260 at the clams level.

IMG_0269.JPG

OP
OP
jamesfatherree

jamesfatherree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Derasa. Bought at 3 inches 8 months ago now is closer to 7 inches and growing fast. Lights are 2 hydra 26 running AB+ spectrum and 2 t-5s (one actinic and one Blue) Par is at 260 at the clams level.

IMG_0269.JPG
Excellent! Thanks for the info :)

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squamossa. Had since2012 first under halide t5 combo. Past few years been under ai hydra 52 hds sitting at 150 ish par. You can see him...tiny...in the first fts of the old 55.
20150820_181333.jpg
20190309_150355.jpg

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luke, I don't plan on ever going through a publisher again. These days you can learn to put a book together yourself and publish it as an e-book and/or paperback on Amazon, and elsewhere. I do recommend paying someone else to edit/proofread anything you publish, though. The downside is that you have to do all of the advertising, of course...
I hate to say it, but for what publishers pay now (and because of the low sales of aquarium books due to the internet), it's not worth writing anything that you don't self-publish.

thanks for the info. im currently going to self publishing route with my book, so it sounds like im on the right track. thanks !

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It has recently been proven that hybrids can be intentionally created between maxima and noae. However, that doesn't automatically mean that other species can do the same. Maybe some can, maybe they can't... Regardless, I can say for a fact that a lot of clams sold as hybrids definitely are not hybrids. I'd bet that includes yours. This is the first time that I've heard of a "dermosa", but looking at your pics I think that's just a derasa. Since writing my book in 2006, I've found that there are some particular derasas that do produce scutes, especially when small, and these also have the little clear to translucent windows in the mantle (like yours does). I've attached a pic of a farmed one in Tonga.
IMG_5686b.jpg

That looks nearly identical to the picture the vendor had posted when I ordered mine. It's never looked quite like that in my tank to my eyes. Add to that the fact I'm a terrible photographer trying to take pictures on an iPhone in a floater box so my picture isn't a great representation of it either. But I do think it's unique looking and I'm happy with my purchase.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started clams in quarantine/observation tanks for newer system so no new data to add but previous had crocea and maximas growing very well in 30" deep tank under 400w MH on light mover with about 200 par average.

Big fan of your book (read cover to cover) and looking forward to getting the refreshed edition.

Thx for engaging us in the forums

OP
OP
jamesfatherree

jamesfatherree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks nearly identical to the picture the vendor had posted when I ordered mine. It's never looked quite like that in my tank to my eyes. Add to that the fact I'm a terrible photographer trying to take pictures on an iPhone in a floater box so my picture isn't a great representation of it either. But I do think it's unique looking and I'm happy with my purchase.
It is a nice one. I'd take it ;)

OP
OP
jamesfatherree

jamesfatherree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started clams in quarantine/observation tanks for newer system so no new data to add but previous had crocea and maximas growing very well in 30" deep tank under 400w MH on light mover with about 200 par average.

Big fan of your book (read cover to cover) and looking forward to getting the refreshed edition.

Thx for engaging us in the forums
Thanks for the info - and glad you liked the book :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back