IMG_20200213_152033745.jpg

He's quite large for a Copepod

old salt reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be an amphipod to me , they are a great addition to clean up crew and awesome to have in your tank
Until they get to great in numbers and eat your zoas and LPS corals. Then again if you get something that eats them(think wrasse,dottyback,etc.) and keeps them in check they are a great addition to your clean up crew.

LarLarsLair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert but I thought there are indeed some that will...? I know my population of pods got way outa control and my frags started to suffer. But not positive they were munching on them or just bothering them by crawling all over an stuff. Im pretty sure I saw a video on one of these forums that a guy took of the pods munching on the coral...?

OP
OP
H

Harrycalihan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies y'all
I'm surprised he's survived to get that big. We have two decent sized Mandarins in there

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make have heard or broken your thumbs YouTubin. I and many others have very real tangible experience. It is totally false. If you perceive it to be feeding, your coral is dying And amphipods are feeding at the margins. They do crawl on corals at night, and guess what, they tend to get eaten by the corals. Mostly detrIvores or scavengers.. a few out of the 1900 species may be predatory such and the half pounders in Lake Baikal. Yes a real place and freshwater lake in Siberia. Anecdotal stories don’t prove science. People like you post these things up to which you reference. Until you can provide actual scientific references Keep your unfounded stories to yourself.

D07F6255-A1B9-42FC-BA0E-F9DDC6F314AC.png

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods eating coral? I'm skeptical of that claim but there may still be one or two facts out there I don't know yet. Maybe make a new thread discussing that guys?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Amphipods .
No need for debate/argument. Not a good way to show a new member how we answer questions.
IT'S N O T HOW WE DO IT NEW MEMBER

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipod. Fish love em. Mine snag em as soon as they pop out of the rocks, the usually catch them right after lights out and right before they come on. Shine a flashlight on your rocks about two hours after lights out and you’ll see them crawling around.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, I just want to take a moment to remind everyone that one of the things that makes R2R great is our friendly atmosphere. Let's do our best to be respectful of one another even when disagreeing. :) We're all here for the love of the hobby! :cool:

Back