Giant Hermit Crab, or not!?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AquAttila
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
So cool......I don't believe I have every seen those! Being out of the hobby for a couple of years, you miss a lot!!
 
I don't usually do this as it was an impulse purchase but seeing something like this was quite amazing and thought it would be cool to add to my 210 FOWLR tank. I am trying to research hermit crab and nothing comes up as big as this thing ... maybe it is a something different, which is why I am concerned as I don't know if it will try to eat any of my fish. It doesn't seem aggressive at all and fish went right up to it to check it out when I added but didn't seem bothered. Most of my fish in this tank are triggers and angels. If I was to bet on any fish trying to go for it, probably be the Harlequin tusk goldenheart trigger. We shal see once lights come on in the morning.

I have attached a video and difficult to see the size, but I bet the Conch shell must be 8" long! Let me know if any of you know what this is exactly as I tried to search for giant hermit crab and nothing...

Thanks!
Late to the thread but it looks like a blue eyed hermit crab. I've had 2 of them. They got enormous. For the most part they'll leave everyone alone. They aren't fast enough to catch the fish and they get super lazy once they figure out that you provide the food. Mine would all be hand fed. I had one for about a year and he was on a shell that was close to 12". It was great until the wrasse and zebra eel tag teamed it after a molt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new