Giant Hermit Crab, or not!?

Mesicard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't usually do this as it was an impulse purchase but seeing something like this was quite amazing and thought it would be cool to add to my 210 FOWLR tank. I am trying to research hermit crab and nothing comes up as big as this thing ... maybe it is a something different, which is why I am concerned as I don't know if it will try to eat any of my fish. It doesn't seem aggressive at all and fish went right up to it to check it out when I added but didn't seem bothered. Most of my fish in this tank are triggers and angels. If I was to bet on any fish trying to go for it, probably be the Harlequin tusk goldenheart trigger. We shal see once lights come on in the morning.

I have attached a video and difficult to see the size, but I bet the Conch shell must be 8" long! Let me know if any of you know what this is exactly as I tried to search for giant hermit crab and nothing...

Thanks!
Late to the thread but it looks like a blue eyed hermit crab. I've had 2 of them. They got enormous. For the most part they'll leave everyone alone. They aren't fast enough to catch the fish and they get super lazy once they figure out that you provide the food. Mine would all be hand fed. I had one for about a year and he was on a shell that was close to 12". It was great until the wrasse and zebra eel tag teamed it after a molt.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back