Giant Hermit Crab, or not!?

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't usually do this as it was an impulse purchase but seeing something like this was quite amazing and thought it would be cool to add to my 210 FOWLR tank. I am trying to research hermit crab and nothing comes up as big as this thing ... maybe it is a something different, which is why I am concerned as I don't know if it will try to eat any of my fish. It doesn't seem aggressive at all and fish went right up to it to check it out when I added but didn't seem bothered. Most of my fish in this tank are triggers and angels. If I was to bet on any fish trying to go for it, probably be the Harlequin tusk goldenheart trigger. We shal see once lights come on in the morning.

I have attached a video and difficult to see the size, but I bet the Conch shell must be 8" long! Let me know if any of you know what this is exactly as I tried to search for giant hermit crab and nothing...

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210410_142117.mp4
    3 MB
OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm ... I can replay it fine. I is an MP4. let's see if anyone else has a problem and will try converting. Thanks for letting me know and quick response.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one about 2/3 that size in my 90-gal FOWLR predator tank. He was always "nervous". He never hesitated to wipe out snails, smaller crabs, starfish etc., but never seemed to bother the fish, probably because he just wasn't fast enough to actually catch one. My Molly Miller Blennies would ride on his back and eat the algae from his shell. The Picasso Trigger would hover over him and attempt to peck at him. They went at each other often but neither one ever landed an injurious blow.

All was fine for months until one day, out of the blue, the snowflake eel decided Mr. Crabs smelled tasty. A 45-minute dismemberment began that looked like a closing scene from SAW.

He should be fine, but everything smaller or slower than him is lunch. It is super cool to watch them shred shrimp etc. and watch the tankmates feast on the spray in the current.

Oh yeah, don't underestimate how far he can climb. If that shell is 8", it means he can stretch out 12-16" from the tallest support. Any cord, airline, decor item or rock within 12-16" of the tank edge and he WILL escape at some point.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, not sure why some wasn't able to play video but took a few pics. It's in the evening so lights are out - somewhat difficult to see. I did catch a few fish in the pics so you get the idea of the size.

Attachments

• 20210410_232800.jpg
    20210410_232800.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210410_232757.jpg
    20210410_232757.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210410_232755.jpg
    20210410_232755.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210410_232750.jpg
    20210410_232750.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20210410_232747.jpg
    20210410_232747.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one about 2/3 that size in my 90-gal FOWLR predator tank. He was always "nervous". He never hesitated to wipe out snails, smaller crabs, starfish etc., but never seemed to bother the fish, probably because he just wasn't fast enough to actually catch one. My Molly Miller Blennies would ride on his back and eat the algae from his shell. The Picasso Trigger would hover over him and attempt to peck at him. They went at each other often but neither one ever landed an injurious blow.

All was fine for months until one day, out of the blue, the snowflake eel decided Mr. Crabs smelled tasty. A 45-minute dismemberment began that looked like a closing scene from SAW.

He should be fine, but everything smaller or slower than him is lunch. It is super cool to watch them shred shrimp etc. and watch the tankmates feast on the spray in the current.

Oh yeah, don't underestimate how far he can climb. If that shell is 8", it means he can stretch out 12-16" from the tallest support. Any cord, airline, decor item or rock within 12-16" of the tank edge and he WILL escape at some point.

Thanks for the reply! It does make me feel much better ... my wife is all freakin' out as I am putting in the tank saying "that thing is going to eat all your fish" .. lol. Don't you love it when the spouse becomes a marine biologist all the sudden. I figure someone on here must have seen or had one of these things. I don't have eels, or real aggressive triggers. I have a pair of crosshatch, which would never go for it - those fish are mellow. If any fish would attempt to maybe bother it would be my tusk or goldenheart but I was willing to take the risk.

Great point about the reach, BTW! I need to see if anyway it can reach top to escape but hopefully it will be fine. The only thing I am thinking of is perhaps it can get into the overflows as I do have rocks stacked up against it and may reach. I have these plastic covers and think I will zip tie down. I had one of the triggers get in there one time and man it was a pain to get it out!

Thanks!

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a giant marine hermit. No experience but really just a bigger version of your regular hermit, meaning you will need even bigger shells for it to move into. @S2G @MombasaLionfish @Damon Jensen

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a giant marine hermit. No experience but really just a bigger version of your regular hermit, meaning you will need even bigger shells for it to move into. @S2G @MombasaLionfish @Damon Jensen

Thanks! it's crazy, I paid $130 for this one at my local store... on this site you sent it is $25. LOL I feel like I got ripped off... ohh well.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick update. the crab is completely in it's shell as the lights are on ... are these guys usually walk around at night only or during the day too? doesn't seem like any of the fish are picking at it. I see the bandit and queen angel picking at the shell once in a while, but that is it.

backinthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, I was able to play the video just fine. I am not sure what it is, but it does certainly look like a giant hermit and I would think that your fish should be fine given they are rather big. I would love to see a full video of your tank actually. That crab is super cool!!

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strawberry hermit crab? They get big. Lol
D
I just did research on the strawberry hermit and looks like they get 80mm (3.1 inch), which is actually small compared to this... lol. This thing is amazing - I hope it does well in my tank. I usually don't take risks and impulse purchases as I learned my lesson throughout the years. But when I saw this at the LFS, I was surprised no one scooped up. I guess the price tag perhaps but I paid more for Maxima clams that parish in a month - could never keep those darn things.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my giant hermit several times between tanks. He would sometimes remain hidden in his shell for days before coming out.

OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, I was able to play the video just fine. I am not sure what it is, but it does certainly look like a giant hermit and I would think that your fish should be fine given they are rather big. I would love to see a full video of your tank actually. That crab is super cool!!
Thanks ... sure, here is a quick video of the tank. This was supposed to be a reef tank but I started putting in angels and now it is my FOWLR.
I moved my giant hermit several times between tanks. He would sometimes remain hidden in his shell for days before coming out.
Cool, thanks! funny, when I fed my fish today it started coming out a bit but hid right back... hopefully it is just a bit scared and need to be adjusted into it's new environment.

Attachments

• 20210411_152924.mp4
    60.3 MB
OP
OP
A

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! that is an amazing tank and such a wonderful assortment of fish!! What kind of clowns are those?
They are called gold nugget clowns... maroon family, but doesn't seem to be as agressive as true maroons.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back