Giesemann Aquablue Azure

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair of these to finally replace my VHO actinics. I couldn't find any reviews on them, so i had to go by the description and spectrum profile on the website. What great bulbs! They are a perfect 17k and are similar to the ATI Coral Plus, but without all the pink. They’re being overdriven by an Icecap 430 ballast. I’m really happy with them and how they supplement my LEDs.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
applause.gif

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you explain how you did your research?
there is 4 video with combination led.

your not the first one saying that and it make me sad when people can't find the information.

i will make individual videos when I've save enough money for a spectrometer

OP
OP
S

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could you explain how you did your research?
there is 4 video with combination led.

your not the first one saying that and it make me sad when people can't find the information.

i will make individual videos when I've save enough money for a spectrometer

I looked at the spectrum available on Giesemann’s website. I’ve spent enough years looking at spectral plots that I knew it would be close enough. I called several of the big name reef sites and asked for advice, but no one had used it or knew what it really looked like. The only review I could find here was a worthless one by a guy who used to post some good spectral data about other bulbs, but trashed the Azure bulb because it is a retweaked Lagoon blue and he really hated that bulb. I also found a YouTube video where someone did side by side comparison shots of each powerchrome bulb supplementing different LED units.

Bottom line is I needed to replace my VHO actinics. I wanted something that would balance out the whites on my LEDs and also fill in that 490nm area that my LEDs are shy on. I pulled the trigger on them sight unseen and am very happy I did. I don’t know what they’d look like on their preferred ballast, but I love the way they look overdriven on the ice cap ballast. With all lights on, it reminds me of an USHIO 14k with some blue supplement. That being said, I havent looked to see what these bulbs look like running by themselves, and the turquoise is a bit much if I’m running just blue LEDs with them. Not sure how long they’ll last being overdriven as they are still really hot to the touch, even with a fan. I’ll probably plan to replace in 6 months and reevaluate switching ballasts.

My lighting schedule is:

DIY LED strips (440nm) - ON 9:00am
VIPARSPECTRA - Blues (50%) - ON 12:00pm
VIPAR - Whites (20%) - ON 1:00pm
Aquablue Azure - ON 2:00pm
Aquablue Azure - OFF 7:00pm
White LEDs - OFF 8:00pm
Blue LEDs- OFF 9:00pm
DIY strips - OFF 12:00am

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back