Gig or haddoni ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter James M
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

James M

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2018
Messages
9,480
Reaction score
13,006
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only pic available, looking to purchase but not labeled what type of carpet

Screenshot 2024-10-25 at 7.59.15 PM.png
 
Of the two I would say Haddoni. But I can’t completely rule out maxi mini carpet at that size and shape, either.
 
That looks like a MaxiMini. What is the column looks like?
 
Seller said it’s a mertensii and no additional pics available
 
I would demand a column picture. The tentacles on the edges are longer make me think it can/likely be a maximini.
 
I’ve seen these nems on eBay lately, labeled at “Vietnam Carpets”, there’s no such species (though maybe collected from Vietnam) and they’re priced outrageously for what is likely a maxi-mini (or at best a Haddoni).
 
Asked for pictures of the Column and was provided with this. Going to try and get more pics
IMG_5837.jpeg
 
With a response like that I'm guessing you're even more apprehensive. What makes it worse is that the photo is so severely altered that you'll never know what color the anemone actually is unless you order it and see it for yourself. I'd personally pass and look for another vendor.

Aside from possibly being a minimaxi or mertensii (and admittedly it does look more like a haddoni or gigantea in that photo), it could also be a Stichodactyla helianthus (aka Haitian carpet, Caribbean Sun Anemone, or Atlantic Carpet Anemone). Though it's from the same family as haddoni and gigantea, it's not a hosting species and could possibly eat clownfish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new