Gigas Tridacna

  • Thread starter Thread starter SpSDrew
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SpSDrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 19, 2019
Messages
1,276
Reaction score
2,525
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Seller Rating
5 ★
Rating Count
1
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I’ve had this guy for a little over a month now. Hes since attached himself to the bottom of the tank glass through the sand. He’s does open up all the way and shuts half way during night. He’s not responsive to light at all though. I can pick him up and he will stay fully open with only slight mantel movement. Is this normal for the gigas clams ?
At the bottom of the tank he gets around 160-170 par
F782368D-124E-4B37-9F05-678C6022F1D7.jpeg 9A38043A-EFD1-4E29-8CCB-F3941C5735CD.jpeg 5D5C794F-BE6D-4432-86B8-42CD983B0163.jpeg
 
I have a few gigas clams , they all react the same as yours. Not sure why they dont close up like your average clams. Maybe others will add to this .
 
Very common in tridacna, as they grow they become used to their surroundings in the tank and react less to shadows and fish swimming over them.
 
I’ve had this guy for a little over a month now. Hes since attached himself to the bottom of the tank glass through the sand. He’s does open up all the way and shuts half way during night. He’s not responsive to light at all though. I can pick him up and he will stay fully open with only slight mantel movement. Is this normal for the gigas clams ?
At the bottom of the tank he gets around 160-170 par
F782368D-124E-4B37-9F05-678C6022F1D7.jpeg 9A38043A-EFD1-4E29-8CCB-F3941C5735CD.jpeg 5D5C794F-BE6D-4432-86B8-42CD983B0163.jpeg
I believe my Gigas is smaller than yours and still feed her 2x a week with phytoplankton. I have him less than two months but he close up at night and open during the day. Like yours he's attached to the bottom glass of my tank.

1243BADE-A6BB-4148-B4B7-1864B7A19262_1_201_a.jpeg
 
It planted its foot and obviously happy with its’ location
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new