Giving up on turbo snails!

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im forever picking up turbo snails and flipping them back over!

I purchased a bunch of them to help me keep algea under control and 90% of them either dont move or just fall off the rock work requiring me to flip them over. Not to mention ive not seen any of them actually clear a piece of rock of algea lol. Why do people swear by them to help with GHA?

Ive found my trochus snails to be more effective as yesterday i noticed a clear patch on the rock where my trochus has been chilling for last couple of days. pretty much cleaned it straight down to the rock!

What other inverts have people had success with at keeping algea under control? I know tuxedo urchins have got a good rep but cant seem to find any in stock.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im forever picking up turbo snails and flipping them back over!

I purchased a bunch of them to help me keep algea under control and 90% of them either dont move or just fall off the rock work requiring me to flip them over. Not to mention ive not seen any of them actually clear a piece of rock of algea lol. Why do people swear by them to help with GHA?

Ive found my trochus snails to be more effective as yesterday i noticed a clear patch on the rock where my trochus has been chilling for last couple of days. pretty much cleaned it straight down to the rock!

What other inverts have people had success with at keeping algea under control? I know tuxedo urchins have got a good rep but cant seem to find any in stock.
Maybe your Turbos are starving to death.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaps of algea etc in there for them
Wondering if the algae is covered with cyanobacteria or diatoms, which might be unappetizing. Just thinking out loud.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if the algae is covered with cyanobacteria or diatoms, which might be unappetizing. Just thinking out loud.
I agree, I have 3 huge turbos, and a healthy turbo doesnt fall over often. ive had to rescue them a time or two, usually its the stuff they knock over, they are touch cookies and algae eating machines.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several hundred snails in my tank in the past year and a half. Why so many? They keep dieing! I find tons and tons of empty shells daily.

My Mexican turbos don’t have issues. But every other danger snail including the very large zebra turbos always end up on their back and usually with their foot fully extended flat. I like them and they retract. But I can’t help but wonder why it’s happening. If they can’t flip back they’re vulnerable. I’ve seen many a hermit feasting on them. But did the hermits kill then or did they die from being flipped over on their own/accident?

I sequestered the medium and large hermits to the sump for a few weeks. Daily I still found flipped over snails and empty shells!

It didn’t appear to be the hermits; if anything, they were just eating the already dead snail.

My snails can’t be starving because they’re always on the move and when they stay put they clear huge and vast swaths of GHA.

Curious indeed.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back