OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a warning on doing this. Make sure you can see the inside of the bottle where ever you place it. I put one in a tank 7 years ago and have zoas covering it. I put it on a angle and place it between two rocks. A few months later my tank crashes. When I pulled out the bottle I found a ton of dead hermit crabs that had been trapped in the bottle and died. I wasn’t able to see them because of the angle of the bottle and the coral covering it. Just a word of caution when considering placement.
Thank you for the heads up. That's great advice.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I place the bottle in ro water or does it have to be salt.
I rinsed my rocks in ro, then cured in sw after using the motar to build my scape. So either or both you decide ;)...Shameless plug for my build below ;Woot
20200711_161333.jpg

Streetcred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said to each his own. If this is what makes you happy and you think it will add to the character you do it.

Even if the guy next door is not buying it. I too do things that some object - makes it more fun.
The bloke is a troll ... but if shyte in his display floats his boat, good luck to him.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinsed my rocks in ro, then cured in sw after using the motar to build my scape. So either or both you decide ;)...Shameless plug for my build below ;Woot
20200711_161333.jpg
Very nice scape. I really dig it

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice scape. I really dig it
Thanks...it is completely different from what I originally built outside the tank, but once I started putting the rock in the tank, this is what it ended up as. I'm going to get some aquacultured rock from KP Aquatics here real soon ;) , to seed the tank with, @JoshH says it all has to go in the sump, but we'll see, depends on what i get...now, back to the regularly scheduled program...sorry for the hijack :cool:

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...it is completely different from what I originally built outside the tank, but once I started putting the rock in the tank, this is what it ended up as. I'm going to get some aquacultured rock from KP Aquatics here real soon ;) , to seed the tank with, @JoshH says it all has to go in the sump, but we'll see, depends on what i get...now, back to the regularly scheduled program...sorry for the hijack :cool:
Not a hijack you answered the question and added a pic. Rocks have a way of scaping themselves.

Mortared bottles added to 5gallons fresh water.
The plan is saturday move them over to 5gallons from a water change. Than Wednesday switch to a another 5g sw bucket. Repeat the following week.any problems with this plan.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a warning on doing this. Make sure you can see the inside of the bottle where ever you place it. I put one in a tank 7 years ago and have zoas covering it. I put it on a angle and place it between two rocks. A few months later my tank crashes. When I pulled out the bottle I found a ton of dead hermit crabs that had been trapped in the bottle and died. I wasn’t able to see them because of the angle of the bottle and the coral covering it. Just a word of caution when considering placement.
2 of the bottles are just half the third will be placed with the opening to the sand.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a hijack you answered the question and added a pic. Rocks have a way of scaping themselves.

Mortared bottles added to 5gallons fresh water.
The plan is saturday move them over to 5gallons from a water change. Than Wednesday switch to a another 5g sw bucket. Repeat the following week.any problems with this plan.
Not a single problem with that plan. Good to go.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For the people who are saying it doesn't look natural to have bottles in your reef tank, you should really look through all the tank photos on this forum and then go diving! I challenge you to find any natural reef that looks like the photos! Alot of the tanks have coral and fish from all different depths and parts of the world all in a glass box smaller than a coat closet! I personally think that bottles on the reef look just like what I see everywhere I go diving! For me, coming across an encrusted bottle when diving is actually a treat as there are always neat little fish and other creatures gathered around their "modern" little home!! Just my opinion!

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do I place the bottle in ro water or does it have to be salt.
I’d put it in salt so the bottle gets the full experience before going in to the marine system. I’ve been soaking mine in oversaturated saltwater

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yeah that happened to me and I saw like two hermits scuttling around the bottom haha

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
For the people who are saying it doesn't look natural to have bottles in your reef tank, you should really look through all the tank photos on this forum and then go diving! I challenge you to find any natural reef that looks like the photos! Alot of the tanks have coral and fish from all different depths and parts of the world all in a glass box smaller than a coat closet! I personally think that bottles on the reef look just like what I see everywhere I go diving! For me, coming across an encrusted bottle when diving is actually a treat as there are always neat little fish and other creatures gathered around their "modern" little home!! Just my opinion!

I have gone diving/snorkeling and the same could be seen around flotsam - it teams with life.
Are we going to throw a pile of trash in the tank next? With your logic, it'd be fine. I'm sorry but I dont agree with your opinion.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back