Glass Damage on Second Hand Aquarium

  • Thread starter Thread starter SimonHP
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SimonHP

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2019
Messages
44
Reaction score
17
Location
Cape Town, RSA
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear R2R.
I have just taken over a second-hand, flat-packed 3.0*0.8*0.8 aquarium. The bottom sheet has a crack in the one corner, outside the original silicone line. Please advise if you would ditch this panel or is it still functional. Please see pictures.
Thank you,
Simon


Glass Tank 1.jpg


Glass Tank 2.jpeg
glass
 
I would not trust a crack. A chip is one thing That might or might not be ok. A crack can be bad news at any time once water pressure is applied.
 
I would not trust a crack. A chip is one thing That might or might not be ok. A crack can be bad news at any time once water pressure is applied.
Thank you.
 
I would both use that piece, and get another one. Silicone the two bottom pieces together for double strength. The enhanced rigidity and adhesion surface from a double stacked bottom piece can't be a bad thing.
 
I would both use that piece, and get another one. Silicone the two bottom pieces together for double strength. The enhanced rigidity and adhesion surface from a double stacked bottom piece can't be a bad thing.
Thank you, that's an interesting idea. The original base panel is 20mm thick and still has the bracing bars attached. By laminating a thinner panel on the base, say 10mm, I would be able to reinforce the base panel and reuse it.
 
Thank you, that's an interesting idea. The original base panel is 20mm thick and still has the bracing bars attached. By laminating a thinner panel on the base, say 10mm, I would be able to reinforce the base panel and reuse it.
Yes exactly. I just did so on this tank. You can see the silicone between the panels on bottom.
PXL_20210509_005011735.MP.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new