Glass glue...

NicksMixedReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 7, 2015
Messages
432
Reaction score
151
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently removed the lip going around the top of my tank, but it left some of the substance behind. I've taken a razor to it already.

Anyone know of some ways to remove the rest of the gunk?

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436921824.700390.jpg
 
A mild solvent should help take it off. However the plastic trim on tanks is there for a reason. It helps to hold the glass together and keep it from bowing from the weight of the water inside. How big is the tank? Make sure you keep a close eye on the glass seams as they may want to "pull apart" from the added stress that the rim was supporting.
 
It wasn't there for anything. It originally had a hood, and the hood rested on the trim. I've had it like this for about a year now, just finally going to get rid of it lol also it's curved edges, no seams
 
I made a 20g into a rimless once and used only a razor to remove silicone and it took awhile but I got it all.
 
Still can't get it off, thinking about using goo gone but afraid it'll get in the tank [emoji52]
 
Like I said earlier in your thread I used solely razors to remove mine when I made a 20L rimless. I had a small razor and a big razor. If you use a brand new razor and go at the right angle it should clean it fast and easy.
 
I did do that, several times lol its an impossibly thin for the blade to get it
 
Here's what I did when the glass brace in my 210 DT came apart. Drained 10 inches of water. A razor blade and then an acetone wipe down removed all of the silicone. Made the repair...done!
 
Here's what I did when the glass brace in my 210 DT came apart. Drained 10 inches of water. A razor blade and then an acetone wipe down removed all of the silicone. Made the repair...done!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new