Glass Lids and light.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Larry64
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Larry64

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 6, 2025
Messages
14
Reaction score
14
Location
St Clair
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to build an eel tank. I have heavy glass lids and rear fillers to prevent escape. I’m I going to be able to put in a few GSP with the glass?
 
GSP should be fine. If anything (and I don't think you'll have to go to this extreme), you can start with them higher up on a frag rack if your LFS was using high lighting, and bring them down over time-- and they will certainly adapt to lower light. If you have anywhere near decent lighting, a piece of glass shouldn't light-deprive GSP. 😉
 
GSP should be fine. If anything (and I don't think you'll have to go to this extreme), you can start with them higher up on a frag rack if your LFS was using high lighting, and bring them down over time-- and they will certainly adapt to lower light. If you have anywhere near decent lighting, a piece of glass shouldn't light-deprive GSP. 😉
Thanks. I was alway told glass kills the UV rays. I don’t need GSP in an eel tank, just thought it might look good and help balance the water. It’s going to be an eel only tank, no fish.
 
Quality mesh lids may be a better choice for gas exchange and light.
 
Thanks. I was alway told glass kills the UV rays. I don’t need GSP in an eel tank, just thought it might look good and help balance the water. It’s going to be an eel only tank, no fish.
Glass absorbs about 10-15% of your light. As to UV, transparent to some.
Which UV are you concerned with?
https://www.shimadzu.com/an/industr...als/measurement-of-solar-transmit2/index.html
Of course I could also say ..which glass?
But nobody makes quartz glass aquarium lids.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new