Glass tank scratch removal

Odd161

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought a used 110 gallon tank and well it’s got some heavy scratches on the front pane and I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to remove them or make them less visible. Any help would be appreciated

OP
OP
Odd161

Odd161

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BMW540

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the scratches are deep, you probably won’t be able to get them out. You have to be careful when buffing glass: you can/will distort the view through it if you try to buff it too much.

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond sanding discs and a thermocouple to monitor temp before the cerum oxide. You have to watch the temp or itll shatter. Also a larg diameter crator is less noticeable than a tight deep dent.

OP
OP
Odd161

Odd161

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the scratches are deep, you probably won’t be able to get them out. You have to be careful when buffing glass: you can/will distort the view through it if you try to buff it too much.
I’ll take it into account I hadn’t thought of that

OP
OP
Odd161

Odd161

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond sanding discs and a thermocouple to monitor temp before the cerum oxide. You have to watch the temp or itll shatter. Also a larg diameter crator is less noticeable than a tight deep dent.
Can you explain a bit more because I’m not sure I follow this method?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For smaller scratches, they tend to not be as visible when you put water in. I’d do a leak test first and see if you can still see scratches. For deeper scratches, they’re definitely visible.

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sanding discs come in many diferent sizes and are most comonly hook and lood backed. So you can get them to match the tools you have. They come in grits from 50 to 3000 if you start to coarse or edge with the tool you can dig a dent or if you apply to much presure or not use enough water you can spot heat the glass. Everything is available at amazon or griots garage. also mirka abrasives has a you tube vidio. Its totaly doable but you do need real tools and have to do some homework

glassguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
typical rule in the glass business is "if you can feel it with your fingernail, its not worth the effort" use the cerium oxide method and water. good luck!

John Rebman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3000 grit is not fine enough to really polish the glass. You could start with that to remove the scratches but ultimately you will have to use a verrry fine grit of cerium oxide to polish the glass so it does not have a dull spot. Just fir grins you might try using a windshield repair compound to fill the scratches then buff with 12000 grit sandpaper.
Try a small area and water test with fresh water

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back