Glass thickness safety factor

Reefscape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am currently in the process of building a Rimless shallow lagoon with dimensions 1200mm/500mm/350mm l/w/h.
The tank is build from 8mm opti white glass with premium quality highest DIN silicone with 2mm joints.
According to online calculators the safety factor for 8mm glass at 340mm water level is 9.5 and 10.4 for 330mm water level.
I know this is a high safety factor,but I wonder if these calculators are for freshwater aquariums and whether they consider the flow factor in reef tanks and the length of 120cm.
However, in this aquarium there will be between 10000-15000l flow from wavemakers.
I wonder to what extent this flow exerts pressure on the glasses, or is absorbed by the silicone seam....
On the one hand, I know that the aquarium should be fine at this height.On the other hand, I notice that most Rimless aquariums on the net with similar sizes are made of 10 mm glass.
Did I make a mistake that I saved 60 euros for 10mm glass , or is everything fine?

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am currently in the process of building a Rimless shallow lagoon with dimensions 1200mm/500mm/350mm l/w/h.
The tank is build from 8mm opti white glass with premium quality highest DIN silicone with 2mm joints.
According to online calculators the safety factor for 8mm glass at 340mm water level is 9.5 and 10.4 for 330mm water level.
I know this is a high safety factor,but I wonder if these calculators are for freshwater aquariums and whether they consider the flow factor in reef tanks and the length of 120cm.
However, in this aquarium there will be between 10000-15000l flow from wavemakers.
I wonder to what extent this flow exerts pressure on the glasses, or is absorbed by the silicone seam....
On the one hand, I know that the aquarium should be fine at this height.On the other hand, I notice that most Rimless aquariums on the net with similar sizes are made of 10 mm glass.
Did I make a mistake that I saved 60 euros for 10mm glass , or is everything fine?
Well for one thing I'd personally never go by "fill height".
Just build it to maximum usable space.

Pretty sure most assume freshwater.
Since saltwater weighs 8.55 pounds per gallon and freshwater weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon, saltwater weighs 0.21 pounds, or 3.36 ounces, more than freshwater.
Compensation. 2.5% heavier.
Also don't take into account low iron glass or tempered.
Flow pressure would be in the realm of the adhesives. Silicone is pretty tough.
Good question.

Here is a screen shot.
Changes in yellow.
Math is what is used to calculate sides. Bottom is different and not included.
Length is taken into account.

Glass mauf. throws unknowns into the equations. Like how soft the glass is ect.

glasscalc6.JPG

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 26 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back