Sump glass thickness relative to display

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am thinking about upgrading to a 110 gal, 48 x 24 x 22 high custom made tank with a 36 inch, 30 gallons sump. The tank would be installed by professionals, as I cannot do it myself. They are quoting me an expensive sump (with nothing fancy, but 10 or 12 mm glass I think - waiting for answer).

This is an expensive project and I am wondering if I could just buy a regular Seapora 30 gallons and have them add and silicone sections. The Seapora tank would have around 5mm I suppose. This would save me 300$-400$ so not negligible.

Would my system be less robust if the glass thickness in the sump is significantly less than the one from the display tank ? Is 5 mm glass able to sustain flow meant for 12 mm glass long long term without failing ?

I’m all for saving money, but not at the cost of safety. I don’t want to cause leaking that could cost thousands to fix to save 300$…

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rimmed tanks enable much thinner glass than any sort of rimless system, which is probably part of why they’re a lot cheaper than the custom builds, and there’s a lot of redundancy in the design.

The flow through the sump is also going to be relatively low - you’re not doing 50-100 turnover in it with massive power heads. It’ll hold water just fine unless you’re doing something very odd with your sump.

FWIW - a lot of folks use these types of tanks with DIY installed glass baffles from a local glass shop for economical and customized sumps.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rimmed tanks enable much thinner glass than any sort of rimless system, which is probably part of why they’re a lot cheaper than the custom builds, and there’s a lot of redundancy in the design.

The flow through the sump is also going to be relatively low - you’re not doing 50-100 turnover in it with massive power heads. It’ll hold water just fine unless you’re doing something very odd with your sump.

FWIW - a lot of folks use these types of tanks with DIY installed glass baffles from a local glass shop for economical and customized sumps.

Thanks for the infos. FYI, the display tank will be Euro braced, not rimless.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the infos. FYI, the display tank will be Euro braced, not rimless.

I think pig was talking about using a rimmed tank for the sump.
If your hiring someone they may not be too receptive to using a cheap tank to make a sump. There may be more labor involved on their end since it not what they normally use. Time = money. Plus they would have to stand behind the product and they may not want to accept that responsibility if it's not a product they are supplying. But it won't cost anything to ask them.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think pig was talking about using a rimmed tank for the sump.
If your hiring someone they may not be too receptive to using a cheap tank to make a sump. There may be more labor involved on their end since it not what they normally use. Time = money. Plus they would have to stand behind the product and they may not want to accept that responsibility if it's not a product they are supplying. But it won't cost anything to ask them.
Yes, I got that. :) He also mention rimless, thus my comment.

I did ask them about getting a regular tank for the sump and they said I could but I didn’t ask about warranty. That’s a very good and important point. Thanks !

They also said they quoted me a sump built the same as a display, with polish glass. And that they could make it regular, non-polished glass, to save money. Their sump is 100 mm thick. That would save me 300$. They are looking to see if they can change the dimensions a bit to add extra savings.

Is non-polish glass hard to see through ? I’ve never seen any.

I believe going with their sump is important for the warranty, so I’ll forget about the Seapora tank for a sump.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I got that. :) He also mention rimless, thus my comment.

I did ask them about getting a regular tank for the sump and they said I could but I didn’t ask about warranty. That’s a very good and important point. Thanks !

They also said they quoted me a sump built the same as a display, with polish glass. And that they could make it regular, non-polished glass, to save money. Their sump is 100 mm thick. That would save me 300$. They are looking to see if they can change the dimensions a bit to add extra savings.

Is non-polish glass hard to see through ? I’ve never seen any.
Glass will be clear.. I’m sure they’re talking about the edges of them.. rough and sanded hopefully or just raw cut glass that’s sharp as a razor

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass will be clear.. I’m sure they’re talking about the edges of them.. rough and sanded hopefully or just raw cut glass that’s sharp as a razor
Not sure. I thought they meant the glass itself would be non-transparent. I hope it’s not edges as sharp as a razor, lol !

I’ll make sure to ask, thanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back