Glass Used on Tanks

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Recently, I had a new tank delivered damaged. I was just wondering what kind of glass is used on tanks, my father owns a double glazing company, so we can get glass cut to size, i understand it needs to be "ultra clear" but these have that same effect when you look down glass pane. I also understand it needs to be tempered/toughened. Which we can do also do. But, is there anything else that this unit needs?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Generally low iron and tempered

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought tempered was terrible for tanks? Can’t be drilled, and if it breaks it completely shatters in a monumental flood?
Many aquariums nort low iron incorporate tempered for strength especially tank bottoms
It’s true that you will need non tempered for drilling
Most aquariums are built with a tempered glass bottom for strength and the rest of the panels with plate glass. You

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought tempered was terrible for tanks? Can’t be drilled, and if it breaks it completely shatters in a monumental flood?
I had noticed the side pane on this tank has splintered instead of shattering, however the back pane had shattered...

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many aquariums nort low iron incorporate tempered for strength especially tank bottoms
Most aquariums are built with a tempered glass bottom for strength and the rest of the panels with plate glass. You
The back pane had shattered, whereas the side pane has splintered. So I imagine that side pane is standard and the other is toughened

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, sorry. What silicone would you recommend?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it’s more likely to have a bow in it. My tank has a tempered bottom but the four sides are made of plate glass

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back