GlennF's 300 gallon DSR reef.

Just to inspire.... -
1350b007f5141fb77160ce4854cb3a07.jpg

91626584172565e8b4a580e08e49159b.jpg

e3d1c5e0295f3d4faba627951e37737d.jpg

ea257292db1edfb1a874e2581af5f903.jpg

f8a2e637c33d19b53552604824bf443f.jpg

f10ac802c296bd5d5b9577cfda7f54ac.jpg

71e30c072245508a66105d259934df44.jpg

87e11ccf6d20a7ef1e697b50295fb604.jpg
 
Looks great! Question regarding your other display (panorama?) What corallivores are you keeping now and how long have you had them? I am not sure if you update that display here or not.

I was curious on what corals they are eating, frequency, or if they forage all day, etc. Not sure what their favorite would be.

Again great work. You have a lot of talent, skill, in your reef keeping with passion. Thank you for sharing.
 
Looks great! Question regarding your other display (panorama?) What corallivores are you keeping now and how long have you had them? I am not sure if you update that display here or not.

I was curious on what corals they are eating, frequency, or if they forage all day, etc. Not sure what their favorite would be.

Again great work. You have a lot of talent, skill, in your reef keeping with passion. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks
This tank has it's own history (kept here since nov2013) which i will keep updating until it will be scratched.

The panoramareef has his own thread in here:
Post in thread 'My Panorama Reef' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-panorama-reef.651926/post-12946491

I don't really keep track on individuall fish, but look at it as a whole ecosystem. Unless a individual start targeting and demolishing things I don't take action. Usually they peck any new corals for a few days than they stop. So the corals have time to adapt into the system.
Of course there is no more daytime polyp extension .
 
Last edited:
It's been a couple of months since an update.

Anything new, interesting or different?

Maybe some pics or video?
 
I'm here for an update too!
 
Green cyano… sometimes the problem isn’t your method, but your attention 🌿
This may be one of the hardest things to admit as an experienced reefer: you can know a lot, help others with their aquariums, and achieve great results for years… and still slowly run into problems yourself.
Not because you suddenly started doing everything wrong. In fact, it can happen precisely because things have been going well for so long.
For me, it started quite innocently with a little green cyano. At first, I didn’t pay much attention to it. The aquarium had been running according to the same principles for years, and experience had taught me that I could solve most problems. So there was no reason to panic.
But it didn’t disappear.
Slowly, it became worse. Whenever there was too much of it, I siphoned out the green mess. At first occasionally, but eventually sometimes twice a week. It almost started to feel like doing water changes, which is exactly what I normally try to avoid. 😅
Still, I kept looking at the usual suspects. Checking water parameters, measuring nitrate and correcting where necessary. Nitrate regularly turned out to be zero, so I added it back. But because I had started testing less frequently, I often discovered these deficiencies too late. I would correct them and assume I had dealt with the problem.
The green cyano had other ideas.
It kept returning faster and spreading further. Not just across open surfaces, but eventually onto rocks and around the corals. Corals started looking less healthy, and eventually even SPS corals began to decline.
At that point, it’s tempting to dig even deeper into water chemistry. Maybe a trace element is missing? Maybe something is out of balance? Maybe I need to dose something extra?
But sometimes we make things far more complicated than they really are.
The problem was literally right in front of me
On paper, there was more than enough flow. I had tried different pump settings and timing schedules, and there were plenty of circulation pumps in the system.
But I had overlooked one important detail:
Pumps don’t stay at peak performance by themselves.
They get dirty.
And that happens gradually. You hardly notice that a pump is moving less and less water. On paper you still have exactly the same pumps running at exactly the same settings, but in reality the effective flow and waste transport may have dropped considerably.
That’s when things start accumulating.
Less effective flow means more areas where detritus can settle. That accumulated waste can then create conditions for other problems to develop. The cyano you see may not be the actual problem itself, but rather a warning that something in the system is no longer functioning optimally.
That also explains why simply siphoning it out achieved so little. I kept removing the visible symptom while barely changing the conditions that allowed it to return.
First, I had to clear the backlog
From that moment on, I approached things differently. Instead of focusing only on removing green cyano, I started looking critically at the aquarium again as if it weren’t my own system.
I cleaned and repositioned the pumps to restore proper waste transport. I checked the bottom and difficult-to-reach areas for accumulated detritus. With the powerfilter, I removed as much loosened waste as possible and changed the PF media frequently during this catch-up period.
At the same time, I started testing more frequently again, so falling nitrate or other deviations could be corrected before they became visible problems.
But there was another important lesson: don’t expect an aquarium that has slowly fallen behind over a long period to recover in a single day.
When a system has gradually accumulated a maintenance backlog, normal maintenance may no longer be enough. First, that accumulated waste needs to be removed and the conditions that allowed it to build up need to be corrected.
So don’t spend one Saturday cleaning everything like a maniac and then think:
Done.
Just keep at it consistently.
Day after day.
And that’s when the turnaround began. 📈
Not because of one magical dose, one miracle product or one spectacular correction. It was a combination of small improvements, all pushing the aquarium back in the right direction.
Looking back, the pattern was actually painfully simple:
less attention → less frequent testing → later corrections → dirty pumps → reduced effective flow → poorer waste transport → more accumulation → increasingly visible problems.
And all that time, I had mainly been fighting what I could see.
Maybe that’s the most important lesson
A well-running aquarium can make you complacent without you even realizing it.
When things have been going well for years, it’s easy to start believing the system can take care of itself. Do that test a few days later. Clean that pump next week. Ignore that little patch of cyano for now. Just siphon it out when it gets annoying.
None of those things will immediately cause a disaster on their own. But together, they can slowly create a maintenance backlog.
And the dangerous part is that you gradually get used to it.
That’s why I no longer see green cyano simply as something that needs to be removed. I see it primarily as a warning:
Why is it getting the opportunity to grow here in the first place?
That is a much more useful question than simply:
How do I get rid of it?
Even for an experienced reefer, the fundamentals remain the same as for someone just starting out. Good water parameters, sufficient flow and a proven method are important, but they can never replace attention and consistent maintenance.
Maybe especially when you think you have everything under control, it’s worth looking at your aquarium again through the eyes of a beginner.
Because in the end, the biggest problem wasn’t that I didn’t know what to do.
I simply wasn’t doing it in time anymore. 😉
20260927_125123.jpg
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new