Gluing corals

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you guys remove the Frag plugs, can you glue directly to your rock? Or does having the glue directly between the coral and rock hurt it’s chances of “rooting” itself ?
thx

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals can be really tough to glue down, it can take several attempts (you’ll think you have it and then it’ll detach the next day), stony corals are generally fairly easy to glue. The trick is to use either the tip of the applicator or a tooth pick and work the glue into the spot on the coral that you’re putting the glue, make sure to use a fairly generous dab, and then when you stick it to the rock, kind of stick it and unstick it a couple times so the glue gets stringy, and then you sort of twist it on to the rock (by twist I mean just like 45°) and hold it down firmly for 20-30 seconds. Then after you’ve held it down and it’s stuck, fan some water on it with your hand to make sure it’s not wobbly and that it’s fully stuck (this also helps to cure any glue that hasn’t set). Once you get it down it’s pretty easy. Using superglue as opposed to epoxy looks nicer, IMO, but it can be easy to knock corals loose, so be careful when you’re working in the tank.

OP
OP
T

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals can be really tough to glue down, it can take several attempts (you’ll think you have it and then it’ll detach the next day), stony corals are generally fairly easy to glue. The trick is to use either the tip of the applicator or a tooth pick and work the glue into the spot on the coral that you’re putting the glue, make sure to use a fairly generous dab, and then when you stick it to the rock, kind of stick it and unstick it a couple times so the glue gets stringy, and then you sort of twist it on to the rock (by twist I mean just like 45°) and hold it down firmly for 20-30 seconds. Then after you’ve held it down and it’s stuck, fan some water on it with your hand to make sure it’s not wobbly and that it’s fully stuck (this also helps to cure any glue that hasn’t set). Once you get it down it’s pretty easy. Using superglue as opposed to epoxy looks nicer, IMO, but it can be easy to knock corals loose, so be careful when you’re working in the tank.
Great advice and savvy toothpick trick. Will do thanks

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t attempted on the softies yet…. But I can’t imagine keeping the plugs…. They’re so ugly
For ricordea, I use orange mesh like some oranges come in.
Put ricordea on rock, secure with mesh, should attach in a week.
Some use rubber bands, not too tight.

OP
OP
T

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha…. What I have are ANACROPORA and Montipora. Also have Styliphora but that had a base to it.

OP
OP
T

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t want to take it off the plug you can take bone cutters to the plug and trim it down as well, basically making it a Little Rock.
I read about these. I’m sure it’s straight forward but I’m hesitant to break off the arms of a coral. It actually happened with a montiopora I had. I’m attempting to refrag the piece that broke off.

OP
OP
T

TL44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ricordea, I use orange mesh like some oranges come in.
Put ricordea on rock, secure with mesh, should attach in a week.
Some use rubber bands, not too tight.
I know exactly what you’re talking about except I have the mesh from this place that puts it around bottles of wine for transit. Thx

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back