Gnarly urchin appreciation thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kapachuka3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 17, 2020
Messages
1,352
Reaction score
664
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me the weirdest, gnarliest most unusual urchins you have. Pincushion, pencil or any other weird type of urchin, I just bought a Halloween urchin and i think he’s so cool looking. This is my old pincushion urchin.
08372B3D-C27C-4E91-B94C-41983B8F8FCF.jpeg
 
My tuxedo urchins are just too dang boring. I did have a green urchin that once killed and ate a horseshoe crab (will have to see if I still have pictures).
That’s awesome, i just recently saw a huge purple pincushion urchin at my Lfs. I mean like the size of a small football huge.
 
This long spine has been in my tank since 2012ish I also have two pencils. She just started to regrow her spines…… lost them all. She took a beating and keep on ticking. Pencils are great also. They all started at the size of a dime.
 

Attachments

  • 148AB2D1-7B51-49FC-A47D-83CCF417ACB6.jpeg
    148AB2D1-7B51-49FC-A47D-83CCF417ACB6.jpeg
    305.7 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 60
This long spine has been in my tank since 2012ish I also have two pencils. She just started to regrow her spines…… lost them all. She took a beating and keep on ticking. Pencils are great also. They all started at the size of a dime.
Beautiful long spine!
 
Hitchhiker slate pencil urchin from my rock...

PXL_20230308_235708932.jpg


Still a little guy, about 1.25" across. He has an even smaller buddy too. Not quite so gnarly, but still a pretty cool little dude. This one's around 0.75" across. I read that pencil urchins aren't very reef safe, but I hope that mine are exceptions.

PXL_20230308_235925118.jpg
 
And Big red my peincil
Hitchhiker slate pencil urchin from my rock...

PXL_20230308_235708932.jpg


Still a little guy, about 1.25" across. He has an even smaller buddy too. Not quite so gnarly, but still a pretty cool little dude. This one's around 0.75" across. I read that pencil urchins aren't very reef safe, but I hope that mine are exceptions.

PXL_20230308_235925118.jpg
I have one that looks identical to yours and he has been in there with my pencil, and helmet for last 5 years with no problems. Well they do knock stuff over sometimes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new