Go big, buy now, cry later?

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently (about 6 months ago) got a 25 gallon AIO as my first ever fish tank looking back at it I wish I did a 40 gallon AIO. I also wish I did a lagoon style. I like the lower look. But 40-50 lagoon aio woulda been perfect.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see if you can get an insert to turn the tank into an all in one.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to drill the side that is perfectly fine too. It's a style of tank, basically a peninsula. You won't be relying on the return for the majority of your flow anyways.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get what's easy for you, honestly a 40g is a great size to get your feet wet.

Prices right now are crazy and with an unknown future ahead in the hobby I would just get In and try to save money where you can and apply it in the necessary areas. Don't forget the glass box get you In the door ;)

With bigger tanks literally everything goes up a % even if you have everything set, it cost more in additives to maintain alkalinity probably 2× as much in a 100g over a 40g.

If your new and learning start reasonably sized so it's easily maintained while learning the ropes. Of course your going to want a bigger tank when you get the feel for it, that's the nature of the beast, just have control and ride out what you have for a few years and learn all the tricks that come with time and tank evolution, when problems pop up get a method for dealing with them. These are all things that are easier to learn and potentially cost less with smaller tanks, and with that it helps to not get burned out with the hobby, unfortunately new comers are usually the ones that go first from getting overwhelmed.

This hobby is great and can be extremely fulfilling, just take it slow and easy. Good luck with whatever you choose!
I have read many threads on beginner reefing and many anecdotes about beginners wishing they went bigger. Wanting to start a reef tank, i was thinking of 40 Ga Long tank. It seems if i am willing to spend the money on this type of set-up that i could spend another 1/2 of that amount and get some a tank twice the size. So, do i go big? I probably have the space and funds for a 100 Ga tank.
I know there are other things to consider, like water loss, stability, ease of cleaning, glass vs acrylic, in a 40 vs 100ga tank.
I would like your opinions. Who better to ask than you experienced folks?
I would get what's easy for you, honestly a 40g is a great size to get your feet wet.

Prices right now are crazy and with an unknown future ahead in the hobby I would just get In and try to save money where you can and apply it in the necessary areas. Don't forget the glass box get you In the door ;)

With bigger tanks literally everything goes up a % even if you have everything set, it cost more in additives to maintain alkalinity probably 2× as much in a 100g over a 40g.

If your new and learning start reasonably sized so it's easily maintained while learning the ropes. Of course your going to want a bigger tank when you get the feel for it, that's the nature of the beast, just have control and ride out what you have for a few years and learn all the tricks that come with time and tank evolution, when problems pop up get a method for dealing with them. These are all things that are easier to learn and potentially cost less with smaller tanks, and with that it helps to not get burned out with the hobby, unfortunately new comers are usually the ones that go first from getting overwhelmed.

This hobby is great and can be extremely fulfilling, just take it slow and easy. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back