Go big, buy now, cry later?

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go 100 I would recommend a 120
48x24x24 which I a great footprint. I have a 125 which is 72x18x21 and the 18" sucks. Give yourself at lest 24" deep (front to back)

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GO BIG TO START.... I am on my 3rd tank as each time it is convincing the wife its needed and the tank will be so much better.......go big initially and thats a few lots of pain (cycling) out of the way

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GO BIG TO START.... I am on my 3rd tank as each time it is convincing the wife its needed and the tank will be so much better.......go big initially and thats a few lots of pain (cycling) out of the way
And eventually..if space allows..everyone will go bigger no matter where they start if they stay in the hobby.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice would be. Go big. Get aquarium of minimum front to back 24" front to back. Better for aquascape and depth viewing. More upfront cost but cheaper in long run

parclife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the nano and the Redsea reefer 250 sat in the garage I’d def say aim for the tank you want including size wise from the start. Could save some notes in the long run and I def wise I had lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read many threads on beginner reefing and many anecdotes about beginners wishing they went bigger. Wanting to start a reef tank, i was thinking of 40 Ga Long tank. It seems if i am willing to spend the money on this type of set-up that i could spend another 1/2 of that amount and get some a tank twice the size. So, do i go big? I probably have the space and funds for a 100 Ga tank.
I know there are other things to consider, like water loss, stability, ease of cleaning, glass vs acrylic, in a 40 vs 100ga tank.
I would like your opinions. Who better to ask than you experienced folks?

I happily did nanos for 15 years, even now, I only have a 80g.

I would go with whatever you can afford in going costs and how much maintenance you want. Bigger tanks often mean you need the space to make more water for water changes and such. Generally at some size point, people have mixing stations in the basement or in an adjacent room going through the wall and so on.

Keep in mind the dimensions of the tank and so on. If you have to reach the bottom or try to remove a pest, can you do it? I found out real fast that tall tanks were not for me at all but that is my personal thing. I had to sell and rebuy a different tank. Someone mentioned a 120g as a great tank, I would personally absolutely hate that tank. I have a 80 which is the same dimensions but shallower and love this tank.

Also decide what fish you HAVE to have now. If yo have to have a tang, then yes, go on bigger side.

Keep the cost of lighting in mind. If you want acro eventually, then the cost can potentially skyrocket out of control on a larger tank. 1000s of dollars in lighting for some people if you want leds and the main brand fixtures. The beginner sticker shock is often not the initial tank but how much more equipment can potentially cost from lighting to bigger skimmers and wave-makers and so on.

Excel may be your friend to budget it out unless money isn’t any issue you need to consider.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowledge is more important than money and size of tank. The time and effort put in to research and tank husbandry determines the success, not money nor size of tank. Tank size is a preference, I prefer nano tanks, they are not easier or harder than big tanks.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went bigger many times and always went back to a smaller tank . this time i build a 60g breeder and for me it the right size its not to big but not to small.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went 38, then 55, then 65 (got a good deal), then back down to a sumped 29. I can take care of a smaller reef much easier.

I did maintenance on a 120 gallon Fowlr, so got my fix of bigger fish.

If I had the space, time and money, I would keep a small reef and have a fowlr over 120 gallon for tangs, angels and non reef safe fish.

Gregpetro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I see it its about space and $$$$. Smaller tanks are cheaper, easy to do water changes. Easy to clean. You use less of everything. But they are definitely more finicky. Doesn't take much for things to get out of wack. Bigger tanks cost more money and time but give you much more leeway on things as there is more of a water column. I have a 20g because of space. In a perfect world I would go with a 40 50g tank. Imo go small to start see how you like the hobby and if you stay in it for a while go big.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And eventually..if space allows..everyone will go bigger no matter where they start if they stay in the hobby.
Not true. I am very happy with my 40 breeder/ 20 gal sump. Bigger is not always better. It's more work, certainly more investment and, if your tank crashes, a much larger loss.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great information. Thank you all. Still debating on what to do, but am thinking of going about 75 gallons with a 40 gallon sump. Big but not huge.
also think of what fish you want in it in advance. if you like tangs in 75g tank you can only do 1 maybe 2 max. same for angel fish.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great information. Thank you all. Still debating on what to do, but am thinking of going about 75 gallons with a 40 gallon sump. Big but not huge.
For the framed tanks a 75 gallon has the same footprint as a 60 breeder but is a little taller so more volume.

It gives a little more freedom with fish choices and a larger volume that aids water stability, but doesn’t really have any additional equipment demands.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo tank doesn't have to be 100g per se but I think for someone starting should go for something that's 4' if possible. A 75g or larger. That gives you a lot of stocking options yet can help keep maintenance cost down a bit. But I honestly don't see an issue with a 100g as long as you for sure know what your getting into. If you can start with 4ft tho most medium sized fish would work and once you upgrade you can go straight to a 6' tank and get into a couple tangs etc. It just skips one or two upgrades which saves money in the long run imo

teela

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am brand new to reefing and my first tank is a nano. My thought is if I ever decide to go big I'll still probably need a quarantine tank.

Also - changing a couple gallons now and then I can deal with. Nope sure how I'd feel about more... Plus the cost of stocking a large tank seems insane now that I've done it on the small scale.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have read many threads on beginner reefing and many anecdotes about beginners wishing they went bigger. Wanting to start a reef tank, i was thinking of 40 Ga Long tank. It seems if i am willing to spend the money on this type of set-up that i could spend another 1/2 of that amount and get some a tank twice the size. So, do i go big? I probably have the space and funds for a 100 Ga tank.
I know there are other things to consider, like water loss, stability, ease of cleaning, glass vs acrylic, in a 40 vs 100ga tank.
I would like your opinions. Who better to ask than you experienced folks?
I only go big and reasons are reduced maintenance based on water volume, room for your wish list , less maintenance intervals while you can go smaller, you will kick yourself down the road when you want additional fish/coral and find yourself wanting to upgrade because you dont have the room.

OP
OP
Fungusamongus

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a 75 gallon tank this weekend. The only issue was that the sides are the only untempered glass. Are there issues with having the return from the sump coming into the tank from the side instead of the middle of the tank? I am sure it reduces the flow on the other side of tank. Would it be better to do a HOB return in tye middle and still drill the side for an overflow?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back