Go big, buy now, cry later?

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read many threads on beginner reefing and many anecdotes about beginners wishing they went bigger. Wanting to start a reef tank, i was thinking of 40 Ga Long tank. It seems if i am willing to spend the money on this type of set-up that i could spend another 1/2 of that amount and get some a tank twice the size. So, do i go big? I probably have the space and funds for a 100 Ga tank.
I know there are other things to consider, like water loss, stability, ease of cleaning, glass vs acrylic, in a 40 vs 100ga tank.
I would like your opinions. Who better to ask than you experienced folks?

lopez052308

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on stocking the reef with fish or mostly coral? Because the size of your tank plays a large role In What fish you will be able to keep. Many wish they had larger tanks because of lack of space weather it’s fish or coral.

OP
OP
Fungusamongus

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the budget?
More electricity, bigger pumps, ect...
First time with fish? Fresh or salt?

If,
Yes
Yes
No
Go for it.

If first time with any fish, think long and hard. Salt is more challenging than fresh.
First for saltwater. Have had freshwater most my life.

OP
OP
Fungusamongus

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on stocking the reef with fish or mostly coral? Because the size of your tank plays a large role In What fish you will be able to keep. Many wish they had larger tanks because of lack of space weather it’s fish or coral.
Mostly coral. Love the flow and look of a coral tank.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After being someone that went from a 15g to 20g to a 55g frag to 150g project and 300g future build i would say 100g tank is perfect nanos can be harder for nutrient levels bigger tank a little more forgiving. Also doing it in waves like i did can be spendy as some of the things bought for smaller tanks cant be used for upgrades. I say go big and do a lot of research and you will be glad you did.

Suus801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From personal experience I wish I had bought a bigger tank initially. Will be looking to upgrade in a year or so and second hand tanks are worth pennies so wish I bought a bigger one initially.

PlainEnvelopes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with a 65g with a sump and now just upgraded to a 180. Really I would say 60g range is perfect to start. A 100g does not open much up in terms of fish, so you would be wanting to upgrade that to a 125-180. Start out and get your first cycle done on a smaller tank then you will be able to move all that established rock over to a larger tank if you do decided you want to go bigger. I also purchased with the possibility of upgrading, mp40s on my 65g etc.

OP
OP
Fungusamongus

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From personal experience I wish I had bought a bigger tank initially. Will be looking to upgrade in a year or so and second hand tanks are worth pennies so wish I bought a bigger one initially.
I have been looking for used tanks as well. Recycling is great as long as it isnt going to break or leak in my house.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 320 frash water tank. Then upgraded to 400g saltwater tank now.
Buy now cry later in this hobby-to me is when people don't have money to buy stuff so they use credit cards to buy high end equipment, Brand new. I think brstv is the biggest promoter for new hobbyest getting into depth. Making them think you need $1000 lights, pumps and controllers.

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started out I went small ( 50G ) and within a short amount of time I went bigger. Would have been easier and better for my pocket book if I just went bigger the first time around

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind the cost of maintaining goes up also. Water changes/electricity/etc, not just setup.
Whatever you think it will cost, it'll likely be at least double...not that I'm saying you can't do budget stuff or save money in places.
If buying a used tank, be careful to test for leaks. The silicone seams on many 2ndhand tanks can fail and are usually not covered under any warranty

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After many years in the hobby, I would say that there is such a thing as too big. Try to really focus on the corals or fish that you REALLY want to keep and build a tank around that. There are pretty much unlimited options to fill your tank with. My folly was going as big as I could to pack the tank with as many corals as I could. Now that I'm over the hill, I prefer a small coral reef tank with select corals, or a large fish only tank. A lot of nice slow growing corals tend to get lost in giant tanks. And a lot of really nice fish shouldn't be kept in small tanks. The amount of time and money that a large reef tank requires can be overwhelming. Seriously.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem I found with bigger tanks is trying to fill them with coral and fish so they don't look bare. Its cheaper to make a small tank look nice IMO. But in a small tank I end up fragging corals every time I work in the tank. I have a 180g and a reefer 170 (about 40g total) I just set up a reefer 300 with a total of 75g so maybe it will be the sweet spot between the two :thinking-face:

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made this mistake at least twice so far. Though to the point made above, it may not be all bad..

I've gone through two tanks and like clockwork after the first year I am already dreaming of more space. However like the last post mentioned, I have not had a 'bare' tank since I always carry over a smaller tank worth of stuff. Though this is horribly cost ineffective haha

I would say if you are unsure get something under 50gal to start and try it out. If you are confident you will want to do this - bad or good - then I would go 90-100 minimum. 100-120 is where things really start to get fun, and fish options are so much wider - even right on the line for tangs at that point depending on footprint.

OP
OP
Fungusamongus

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always recommend this combo 60 breeder dt and 40 breeder sump. Great dimensions and can be used as sump and qt for upgrade after. Plus you can get these tanks cheap and fit any equipment you need with the size.
Great info. Looking into this combo.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back