Go with what works or try for something new?

Kristy0813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon with what feels like limitations. It has a current light system and a canister filter. Over the last year or so I've been adding new frags. I've found some coral families due well and some not so much. Anyone in the same boat? Do you keep adding what you know works or work on figuring out why the others don't do well?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect the canister filter is what is limiting you. The tend to produce a lot of nitrate and phosphate. Some corals are much more tolerant of elevated levels than others. Typicly tanks with canister filters end up over run with algae eventually due to the high nutrients.
Canister filters do a great job of removing stuff from the water column however all that garbage is still in your system. Most people do not clean canister filters until the flow is diminished. In the mean time everything it collects is braking down into nitrate and phosphate. A canister filter should be cleaned every 3 days or so depending on you bio load to prevent this.

OP
OP
K

Kristy0813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. I didn't realize I need to clean the canister that often. Sounds like I need a new tank

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not specifically a new tank, but a better filtration system. Canister filters work great for running carbon. You could add an external HOB skimmer, a HOB refugium, an algae scrubber or a combination of them.

OP
OP
K

Kristy0813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered the HOB skimmer but honestly didnt know about the other two options. I did find that Eheim makes a surface skimmer as well which I may add. I will do some research and try out one or a combination of these for sure.

OP
OP
K

Kristy0813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have since added a hob surface skimmer and have a hob refugium/protein skimmer on the way. I don't really know what do to set that up the refugium yet but will work on that when it arrives. I will say the water already looks better with just the addition of the surface skimmer

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back