Gobies and Dinos

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had Dinos for a while. It is mostly under control, but I can't see to get it fully under control. For the last few weeks it shows up on my sand bed after the lights have been on for a while. I really don't see it on other surfaces. It used to be EVERYWHERE.

I'm wondering if a sand sifting gobie would be beneficial in controlling the Dinos that show up on my sand.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might if the consumption of the dino's does not kill it.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also been battling dinos for months. I've never seen them on my sand, but I have two diamondback gobies that keep my sand bed pristine. If I've had dinos on my sand, those two have definitely ingested it. They are fat and healthy. However, I can't tell you if I've actually had dinos on my sand or not unfortunately

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More often then not, when sandsifters cause "dino" to not be in the sand is due to 1) its actually cyano or diatoms, 2) the sand stiring is either burying the dino before it collect into strands, or flipping it into the water column so it doesn't stick in the sand

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was battling dinos in my 90g tank. After doing elegant corals dino treatment, I added in two diamond gobies and have been dino free since. Either the treatment really worked, the gobies are preventing them from coming back, or both.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rigidly following a directive dosage of Dino X worked excellent for my outbreak that I experienced in my first couple months

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think anything eats dinos, they secrete this nasty slime thats toxic to most other livestock in the tank
I think it depends on the Strand. Procentrum and ostreopsis have higher toxicity while strands like amphidinium has extremely low toxicity. But I am new to this so I could be wrong but I've caught my juvenile clowns pulling it off my rocks and overflow and snacking on it.

BTW I have amphidinium. I think it heavily relies on the Strand you have.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back